-----Original Message-----

In linguistics a compound consists of two or more lexemes (meaningful parts)each of
which could stand on its own.  A prefix or suffix has meaning, but is not a lexeme
that can stand alone.  When these parts are put together the meaning is a
combination of the parts, but with a new meaning.  Usually the parts are both
nouns.  In German the parts may make a long word with or without a connector. Two
examples are "Autobahn" and "Eisenbahn."  "Auto" means automobile,"Bahn" means path
or road, "Eisen" means iron.  "Autobahn" is a limited access highway for cars.
"Eisenbahn" is a railroad.   In Hebrew and other Semitic languages two words may be
combined with the vocalization of first one changing to the construct state.  For
example "Bayit" means house and "kenesset" means assembly.  When combined the
vowels change to "beit kenesset" and the meaning is synagogue.

In English the compound may be connected to form one word such as "seaman,"
connected with a hyphen such as "do-it-yourself," or just in proximity such as "tea
bag."  In your example of "minivan" the question is, "Are the two parts stand alone
lexemes?"  While "mini" is frequently used as word it is still jargon, slang, or
proprietary usage. "Mini" is considered a prefix or combining form in most
dictionaries.  Since "mini" is not a full word, "minivan" would not be considered a
compound word in English.

If one uses "minivan" it has a specific meaning as coined and defined by the
American automobile market.   The spellings "Minivan," "mini-van," and "mini van"
are used. "Mini Van" (1960–1982) is a propitiatory name introduced by British
Motor Corporation (BMC).

However, why should anyone care if the word is compound or not when the history of
the word and the use of compounds is much more interesting?

(Dr.) Daniel D. Stuhlman
dstuhlman at ccc.edu
Wright College Library
Reference Librarian