Thanks, Jody, for November is.

I would like to elaborate a little on November 20, International Children's
Day. That is also the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Children's
Rights and the 20th anniversary of the UN Convention (treaty) on the Rights
of the Child. At this point every nation on the planet has ratified this
treaty - except the US and Somalia.

I would like to note three books that can be used to present the treaty
itself and the topic of children's rights in general. The first two are
picture books, with donations from noted illustrators of children's books.
They are also, unfortunately, out of print, so cherish your copies if you
have some, or get used ones for little more than the price of postage.
Though aimed at younger children, they are great for any age, including
adults.

A Children's Chorus (out of print) but available through used book sellers.)
ISBN 0-525-33545-5

For Every Child (out of print) but available through used book sellers.)
ISBN 0-8037-2650-3

The third book is very meaty, great for middle school through adults:

Stand Up, Speak Out - should be available new, paperback $9.95 - ISBN
1-58728-541-X

 For your own preparation I highly recommend two sources:

 UNICEF - http://unicef.org

The Campaign for U.S. Ratification of the Convention on the Rights of the
Child - http://childrightscampaign.org

There will be many teach-in/briefing events on campuses across the country
and I have volunteered to organize Delaware. Please contact me off-list if
you have any questions.

Pat Bartoshesky

RETIRED - Highlands Elem School (k-5)

Wilmington, DE, USA