Here's a long post re barcodes and spine labels.  Generic barcodes are
fine, but it's nice to have information on them.  Spine labels a necessary
piece--well, we all knew that from working in the library with students,
staff, and when shelving books.  This seems to be not so much a cataloging
issue as one of practice.  Perhaps similar to shelving state books together
rather than by Dewey.  Thanks you all for ideas.  Some, you will see are
quite humorous.  we are never to old to learn new things.  Thanks!
   Leslie

   I would question the group as to what the plan is for teaching students
   to be independent users of the library?  If students cannot see or read
   a spine label, how can they locate a book?  Is the group planning on
   putting the barcode on the spine?  Are they planning on re-labeling all
   of the books?

   I understand how the barcode can give all of that information... but
   this doesn't sound like a Destiny issue to me.  We have had Destiny for
   years... we still catalog books, we still use barcodes, and we still
   have spine labels.  Our barcodes can tell us a lot of info, but it
   doesn't tell squat to a kid.

   I don't think these people work with children on a daily basis

   I usually explain to students that the call # on the spine label is like
   their house number/street on their home -information about where to find
   it - the specific location.

   Not all barcodes include all the information you listed. Our barcodes
   just have the numerals & symbols of the barcode and the name of the
   library.

   I agree with you - it's not a cataloging issue - it's a Destiny issue.
    Just my .02 --

    The OPAC, whatever automation system you use, includes a call number to
   use
    to locate the book on the library shelves. Without a spine label on the
   book
    spine how do you identify the call number for correct shelving and for
   the
    patron to see and locate the book on the shelf? Barcodes are much
   larger
    than a spine label and cannot be seen when the books are on the shelf.
   New
    cataloging, or not, a spine label is a means to find or replace a book
   on
    the shelf.

   Really! No spine labels! So when kids try to find a book on the shelf
   how do they know they are even in the neighborhood? This idea is not
   going to work here. I would love to see the place it does. Maybe I am
   missing something.

   Hi Leslie,
   THanks for replying. I don't think it was you who was unclear at all. :)
   I think it's the idea itself that is unclear. If there is a call number
   on the barcode which is, let's say, on the back of the book, and nothing
   on the spine denoting the call number, then it's quite possible for the
   shelver to shelve the book.
   But how would one shelf-read? How would anyone find a book from a call
   number? And how would one teach anyone, adults or children, to find a
   book on the shelf after finding the call number in the catalog?
   I just don't get it. Sorry if I'm being dense.
   Please use without attribution in a hit.

   Rational is that if you have to replace the barcode it is easier to just
   stick a generic barcode on the book.  If you had a printer that would
   print I barcode at a time may be.  But  I have not found desk printer
   for individual barcodes that does not use thermal paper.

   My very large district (311 schools) uses Destiny and has for the last 6
   years.  We still have spine labels, we still need spine labels.   Spine
   labels are to 1) help the patron locate the book on the shelf, and 2) to
   aid the library staff reshelving the items on the shelf.  Even in
   Destiny, the copy information area asks for a call number.  This number
   appears when the title details are accessed.  How would a student know
   where to look without the number?  How would a student find that number
   on a book on the shelf if ia spine label was not there?  Can you imagine
   students trying to pull books out far enough to see if a call number was
   on the barcode?  I can't.

   Perhaps at the meeting they meant that the barcode needed to be
   streamlined and no longer needed the call number printed on it??

   BTW, I taught cataloging at UNLV for ten years.

   Whoever came up with the idea that spine labels aren't needed must not
   use a library very often. I've got a fairly small library here, <6000
   titles, and the spine label is still the best way to find a book once I
   have looked it up on the computer. Even someone who finds books by
   browsing uses the spine label to find the right general area.

   What if you don't have smart barcodes? Then what?

   If you don't have spine labels, how do the students find the books?
   That's the main reason we have them!

   Hmmm, does this mean no spine label at all?  How in the world will you
   keep
   things organized on the shelf?  Yes, I'm a certified dinosaur!!!

   In my library call numbers are essential for shelving the books and
   locating them later.  Barcodes are placed INSIDE the books -- this
   wouldn't replace a call number in my book.

   I guess I'm missing something but how would you shelve the books, by
   reading the tiny print on the barcode???? If so, would you have to put
   the barcode on the spine of the book? Sounds odd to me but then I'm a
   dinosaur too!

   You can put whatever you need and/or want on the barcode labels and on
   the
   spine labels.  There isn't a "right" answer on this.  Sometimes, you'll
   see
   the year of publication on a spine label which can be really helpful
   depending on the research you're doing and it's great for weeding.
   Sometimes you'll see the school's phone number on the barcode label
   along
   with the school's name so that if the book is lost it can be returned.
   can't ever remember seeing "this is what must be on a label ... " in any
   text.  Rather, it has said "you might put ... " or "most institutions
   add
   ... "

   Follett is not the Great Guru of Cataloging, believe me!  If their tech
   staff is having difficulty with the amount of data, they need to remedy
   the
   problem by expanding their capacity.  You're the customer; you're paying
   the
   bills; you need to get the service you paid for.  If you need more
   space,
   they need to accommodate you, not the other way around.

   And whoever said you and your fellow librarians were "out of touch" owes
   you
   a gigantic apology just on general principles!

   Hi, Leslie,
   I'm sorry; I must be missing something!  How will patrons find the
   wanted book/s if there are no spine labels?  I don't know; I only
   finished my degree (from an ALA accredited school) last December, but I
   surely didn't learn that procedure!  And, I don't care to say that I
   don't like the sound of it.
   The barcodes I can print from Follett's Destiny, which our county uses,
   can include the author, title, call number, etc., but that still doesn't
   help me shelve, since we place the barcode on the back of the book.  It
   is so small that I don't think spine placement of that barcode would
   really help.

   I'm not opposed to streamlining, but this doesn't sound like a good plan
   to me.

   Unless you're putting the barcode labels on the spine, I don't see how
   you could do away with spine labels. How will you locate the books on
   the shelf without pulling them out to check the barcode?

   So, how do you find them easily on the shelf without spine labels? I
   have to admit that I wouldn't mind the bar code on the spine if all the
   info is readable but many books are thinner than the labels! (And my
   last cataloging class was in 1999 so I'm SO last century I guess!)

   Boy that doesn't make a lot of sense...no spine label? How will anyone
   find them on the shelf???

   Hello, Leslie,
   Interesting question you pose.  What about those of us who do not have
   Destiny?  What about those of us who still use dumb barcodes?  I, too,
   am a
   REAL dinosaur as I have been doing this library work for over 40 years.
   I suppose I am really out of touch! Maybe this is a way to move us (me)
   out
   the door - ta! ta!

   Your OLD friend in the panhandle of Texas,

   This makes no sense to me at all.  In fact, I use larger spine labels
   than
   most libraries because I want the shelving/finding process to be as easy
   as possible.

   I have no idea how you can keep things organized without spine labels.

   What I miss most about LC Is the unambiguity of the labeling.  Each
   label
   is 100% unique, which facilitates both shelving and shelf organization.

   Confused old fogie

   Hi Leslie,
   Could you tell us more about the logic of the idea that one doesn't need
   spine labels any longer? I don't understand how bar codes, which are
   never on the spines of the books, would take the place of the spine
   labels.
   Thanks,
   Sue

   Even if you do, I have trained my kids to shelve their own books. They
   will not, and are not equipped to put away books with out some sort of
   guidance, I see the spine labels as guides to the neighborhoods,
   streets, and addresses of their books, so they can sleep in their own
   beds at night. No spine labels, would mean I would have to shelve the
   thousands of books that come in and out of the library every week. My
   vote is no.

   It is much easier to just do an hour or so of work every 6 weeks or so,
   and a thorough clean twice a year, than to shelve all of those books. I
   would never get all the rest done that I need and want to do for my
   students and teachers. Plus, shelving allows real life practice of
   skills needed in every day life.

   just my 2 cents,

   Hi, Leslie-
   I would say that if the call numbers are large, clear and placed on
   the spine, there would be no need to duplicate the information on the
   barcode print-out. However, I have only seen the call numbers laid out
   in a very small font size under the barcode, which I would find
   inadequate, especially for visually limited students. It would be an
   easy innovation for a service, like Mackin, or a programmer, like

   I have wondered why barcodes have all that info. also.  I don't think
   the info. on barcodes is as important as the spine label.  I use the
   spine  label to spot check the correct shelving of the books students
   put back they don't want when they look for books and because they put
   books away  after turning them in (3, 4, 5 grades do this because I
   can't keep up with the amount of books during a scheduled week of
   classes.  It also makes the  turned in books available immediately to
   classmates to check out.)  How would you shelve a book if it didn't have
   all the info. on it AND the spine label  was not used?

   Books don't need spine labels??? How are patrons supposed to find them -
   pull each book out to look at the barcode? As for shelving them, the
   spine
   label is a lot easier than reading the call number from a barcode label
   - or
   are call numbers obsolete too? Seems strange to me

   Unless the bar code is visible on the spine, how will you see the call
   number quickly on the shelf to know if a book is in the correct place?
   I might be a "dinosaur" but I still consider a call/spine sticker a
   vital part of a library book.  For thirteen years, I have taught
   elementary students that the call sticker tells us where the book lives
   in our library.

   Isn't the purpose of the spine label is to help with finding and
   shelving
   books quicker?

   And with no spine label, how will the patron be able to find the book on
   the shelf?  Pull out each book to read the barcode label?  Somebody must
   be very out of touch with how libraries are used.  I don't see how this
   is a Destiny issue.  You can still print spine labels in Destiny (just
   did it yesterday).

   And will they also be issuing x-ray specs so that we can read the
   barcode and know where the books should be/are on the shelf?

   No spine label?   how are you going to find the book on the shelf?   Yes
   the info is nice, but most of us  use generic barcodes.

   I thought spine labels were to help the patrons find the items??
   The do help me shelve them faster + we don't use smart labels why
   spend more for smart barcode labels
   James Johnson

   Perhaps I'm missing something, but if there's no spine label, how will
   you know where to put the book on the shelf when you walk up and are
   faced with rows and rows of blank spines?  How will the patron know
   where to find the book on the shelf?  Are you suggesting putting the
   barcodes on the spines?  If so, I hope your barcodes are a lot bigger
   than mine, because the call numbers are pretty tiny.  And I assume the
   barcodes would have to be put on the spines parallel to the title, which
   makes all the call numbers sideways.  That would be tough to eyeball
   across a row of books.  But if you wrapped the barcodes around the
   spine, the reader couldn't read think books' barcodes.

   Sorry, I just don't get how you'd do this.

   Just one question -- without a spine label, where will you know where
    books belong on the shelf?  I think shelving would become horrendous
    without spine labels.  As it is, my student shelvers can make a royal
    mess -- without spine labels, it would be much worse.
   "VAN"
*******************************
Leslie Greaves Radloff, BS.Ed; MS.LME; MN History Curriculum Award
Winner;Book
Reviewer-Library Media Connection and others
Member: ALA/YALSA; MEMO; METRONET
Licensed Teacher Librarian
Maxfield Magnet School
380 N. Victoria Street
Saint Paul, MN  55104
651.293.8680 Ext.1134
651.293.5306 fax
leslie.radloff@spps.org

School libraries with licensed professionals equal higher student
achievement. Make school libraries a priority.