Original Post:

I have a 30 minute lesson time with 5th graders.  Do any of you have a good idea of
what I could do on the topic of The Great Depression in such a short amount of
time.  The lesson will be in mid November.  I thought about talking about how
Christmas trees were decorated with popcorn strings and paper loops.  I would like
to have a picture book to read about it.  Any ideas?

Try Silver Packages by Cynthia Rylant-if you can get through it without tears!

The History of Us by Joy Hakim is a wonderful series that has all sorts of
interesting information in it. You could read or copy a page or two and go over it
with the students.  Maybe you could read an excerpt from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

You might read The Hard-Times Jar - I think it's the depression era.

The Library of Congress has some excellent primary source sets you could
adapt into a lesson.  They also have ready made lesson plans to look at.

http://www.loc.gov/teachers/

This is the only picture book I can think of, but it doesn't talk about
Christmas.
Title:  Spuds /