From: Julia Beck [mailto:jvbeck@bell.net]

Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:27 PM

To: Mary Beth Roche

Subject: Re: Library Acitivities for Post High School

A very successful activity that I started many years ago with high
school students was a "Discussion Forum" -- the students chose topics of
interest

(democratically) and then I would find (resourcefully) an expert on the
topic -- this individual or individuals would come to the school (for
free,

usually) -- I took some money from the library's programming budget for
refreshments. The sessions/seminars were held every two weeks, during
lunchtime or after school depending on the time of year or speaker. Some
of the topics included: Indian music - a sitar player; the economics of
oil -- a university economist; Chinese politics -- a journalist;
etc.etc. Of course topics depend on the interests of students
--generally something they are thinking about or grappling with, and
which is not covered by the curriculum. Success depends on the
creativity and enthusiasm of the group of students.