Hi all,

The following is an issue that all advocates for the well-being of young
people ought to be involved in.

Groups Call For New Checks On Behavioral Ad Data
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-10323223-265.html

Privacy advocates released a series of guidelines Tuesday for American
legislators considering regulations on behavioral advertising, calling for
greater transparency and giving Web surfers more control over how the data
is used. Ten groups, including the Center for Digital Democracy and the
Electronic Frontier Foundation, are pushing the debate ahead of the return
of Congress in September, when certain members have hinted they'd be
receptive to ideas for legislation. [CNET]

You can download the guidelines using a link in the news article. I have
been disappointed in the past when these issues have come up that children
and teens are not well addressed. But not this time. Here is one
recommendation:

"No behavioral data should be collected or used from children and
adolescents under 18 to the extent that age can be inferred."

As you know I track the Internet issues. I have in my materials information
for teens on how they are profiled and targeted. I call this
Tracked, tricked, and targeted." I sure would love to take this provision
out - or change it to educational - for after they turn 18. I have had teens
read my literature. Interestingly most of them indicate awareness of - and
good standards - in all of the areas except for this. Here is the so-called
"privacy policy" for a site that offers one of those cute personality
quizzes teens think have been placed online for their entertainment:

³(This site) collects user information ..., through methods which include,
but are not limited to, responding to questions and surveys, registering for
the site, or through various offers provided on site. By submitting personal
information you grant (the site) the right to use that information for
marketing purposes including, but not limited to, sharing such information
with advertisers. (The site) may also use such information to deliver
certain direct marketing offers to you via telemarketing, e-mail marketing,
direct mail, SMS messaging and other types of direct marketing. We may sell
the personal information that you supply to us to selected third parties,
including direct marketing services. By agreeing to these terms, you hereby
consent to disclosure of any record or communication to any third party when
(the site), in its sole discretion, determines the disclosure to be
appropriate.

All best.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)