 I tried something new this year and It worked so well, I thought I would
share it.

I hate doing orientation, but it is necessary. I had my first classes on
10th graders on the 4th day of school, While I greatly appreciate that this
teacher was anxious to have his kids use the library, orientation followed
all those first few days of rule and policy discussions in the classrooms.
The students were bored to tears by my little powerpoint presentation of
policies - no matter how many  animations I added. I don't blame them. I was
putting myself to sleep.

So, when it came time for the 9th graders, I decided to do something
different. I am at a  small school with 40-50 kids per grade, so we usually
only have a few new students each year. The kids who have been here know the
library policies and procedures. So, I just had them quickly tell me what
the policies are under broad headings such as "study hall pass" and "copy
card". After we discussed these, I assigned small groups one or two of these
phrases. They made rebus puzzles for the phrase. A rebus is a picture puzzle
- like for "catfish" you would draw a cat, put a plus sign, then draw a
fish. They did a fantastic job! They came up with much more creative rebuses
(rebi?) then I ever could.

Next, I'm going to have the 7th and 8th graders solve the rebus puzzles to
start the orientation process with them.

Just an idea that came to me to make an onerous task a little more fun.

Tere Hager

Secondary Librarian

Brentwood Christian School

11908 N. Lamar Blvd.