We have just purchased the Destiny system by Follett Software.  When
adding new books to the system, you can scan the ISBN on the cover of
the books and various cataloging records for that book will appear on
the screen.  You can click on each of the record titles and the entire
MARC record for that title can be seen.

  My question is :  Once you have selected the MARC record you wish to
add to your database, how much do you change the MARC record?   If
necessary, we go in and change the location code / call number and
the number of copies for multiple books.  Does anyone change subject
headings?  If you have both Library of Congress and Sears subject
headings within the same record, do you remove one or the other?  Is
there are reason to do this?   Are there other MARC tags you alter or
completely delete?

This has become a point of discussion between our technical processor
and our Upper School cataloguer, and I wanted to ask the experts what
they do.  Thanks for your response.  I would appreciate any help you
could give me!

Debra Wilhoit
Lower School Librarian

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."  Gandhi

Thompson-Jones Library
Providence Day School
5800 Sardis Road
Charlotte, North Carolina 28270