One of my wonderful 2nd grade teachers came to me today to "recruit" me. This
summer, she learned as much as she could about a program called the Daily5 and has
been implementing it in her classroom this year. The program is geared primarily
toward classroom teachers, but I am wondering if any of you are using elements of
this program already in your library lessons or collaborating with your teachers on
this. Some of the ideas my teacher told me about sound like they are hand-in-glove
with what we are trying to do in the library. This teacher told me that this year,
3 weeks into the year, she can honestly say that she believes her kids love
reading--and she attributes the difference--both in her students and in her
teaching--to this program. (And guys, this is a veteran teacher who already stood
out as phenomenal in my mind.) She said that she wasn't aware of any libraries that
were already using it, but thought that, if I could use some of it, just with her
class, to reenforce what she's doing, that it would be great--and from the little
I've seen so far, I am thanking my lucky stars that she thought to come to me.

If you are curious, you can get some information from:
http://www.the2sisters.com/the_daily_5.htm

Ronda Y. Foust, Librarian
Hardin Valley Elementary School
Knoxville, TN