I asked for books that featured female characters who were leaders to include in my
grant application for a Girl Leadership project.  Thanks to the wonderful
suggestions! Several of the titles below came from ABookandAHug.com.  Here are the
directions I received for finding titles of this type:  "If you go to
abookandahug.com and click on Find a Book in the top right hand corner, then scroll
down and choose the keyword girlpower from the list of keywords.  Check the box and
then hit Search.  It will generate a list for you.  Since you're looking for books
for teens, I would also select Older Reader from the Reading Level drop down menu.
If you have Older Reader selected and the keyword girlpower selected, then hit
Search and see if that gives you some ideas.
Now the titles:
Alana books by Tamora Pierce
Backwater by Joan Bauer
Becoming Naomi Leon by Pam Munoz Ryan
Best Foot Forward by Joan Bauer
Crunch by Leslie Connor
Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
Faith, Hope, and Ivy June by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Fame and Glory in Freedom, Georgia by Barbara O’Connor
Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
Green Angel by Alice Hoffman
Green Witch by Alice Hoffman
Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan
Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix
Leviathan by Scott Westerfield
Life as We Know It by Susan Pfeffer
Maximum Ride series by James Patterson
Rules by Cynthia Lord
Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer
Sahara Special by Esme Raji Codell
Shabanu by Suzanne Fisher Staples
So B. It by Sarah Weeks
Squashed by Joan Bauer
Starting School With an Enemy
Terrier books by Tamora Pierce
The Amelia Bloomer Award list.
The Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce
The Door Within triloby by Wayne Baston
The Enchanted Forest chronicles by Patricia Wrede
The Fairie War by Herbie Brennan
The Landry News by Andrew Clements
The Lioness Series by Tamora Pierce
The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor,
The Mother-Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick
The Steps by Rachel Conn
The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield
The Wind and the Fire trilogy by William Nicholson

--
Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School