I should have read your post a little more closely - I was distracted by the live
cam of the barn owl...too fascinating.

I, at first, thought you were asking because you were being asked to provide the
books/materials for the class to copy  Then I re-read  what you had written.  My
answer still stands. It is the professors responsibility to make sure what they are
 assigning is not violating copyright.  If it is a list of books that the professor
uses each year, they must secure permission.  The Head Librarian where I worked
explained that the library could not request it, it had to come from the individual
who would be using it and it had to be on college letterhead and explaining why
and how the material was to be used.  However, if you are concerned you could ask
the librarian  at your college  about it.  If they are aqware of the assignment, I
am sure they have already talked to the professor. If they are not aware of it,
they can provide the professor with the info needed for the permission letter.

Toni Koontz
Retired Librarian
Columbus Ohio