The question that I am having is "Is this a challenge?" A parent has expressed a
concern that the content in The Giver is too mature for instructional use. The
parent is not saying that it shouldn't be in the school library. Wouldn't it be up
to the teacher to talk about the benefits to his/her curriculum in using this
novel? I teach teachers children's literature for use in the elementary classroom.
I insist that teachers be able to articulate developmental and pedagogical support
for any selection of literature as part of their classroom practice. Can the
teacher do that?   Infanticide and euthanasia are hard topics but not out of the
realm of information available to a typically developing eleven-year-old. What
supports is the teacher providing the students in considering these ideas?

A blanket demand like this needs to be addressed in terms of policy. Can a parent
request that a 6th grade teacher whose classroom practice they are unfamiliar with
not use a title? Is there actually a district wide blacklist? Seems like a slippery
slope.
Lisa

Lisa Von Drasek
Children's Librarian
Bank Street College of Education
School for Children Pre-K- 8
610 West 112th St
NY  NY   10025

lisav@bnkst.edu

212 875 4452

>>> Chuck Finnigan <cfinnigan@SWSD.K12.WA.US> 04/06/10 1:00 PM >>>
We have a parent challenging The Giver in our elementary schools. This
parent,  "...requested that this book not be used instructionally below
the middle school level within our district (elementary = K-6).  He felt
the book was inappropriate for younger readers and dealt with concepts
such as infanticide and euthanasia that required a higher level of
maturity."

If you have had to deal with a challenge to The Giver and can offer any
suggestions, I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Our Instructional
Material committee meets next week to consider the challenge.

Thank you,

Chuck Finnigan

Cascade MS School Librarian

Sedro Woolley, WA

cfinnigan@swsd.k12.wa.us

I adhere to the religion of art, music & small children. Rosanne Cash