Although I said that I would be sharing PROFESSIONAL materials for
teacher-librarians, I HAD to share this one with the list--- especially
after a visit from a "super-hyper" child who visited the CML yesterday
afternoon.  While we don't have many children who come during the regular
school hours, we often have many children who visit with their parents
(students or professors) after school and during the evening!!  This little
"ball of energy" reminded me of Tess in the book, "No T. Rex in the Library"
--- interestingly enough MY visitor came to the library on a TUESDAY, too !!
(???)

**************************************
Review:

It's Tuesday morning in the library and Tess is visiting the library--- or
rather, destroying it!!  In fact, Tess is out of control!!  When her mother
places her in "time-out,"  Tess continues wiggling and squirming until she
leans back in her chair and accidentally knocks over the book cart filled
with books.  On the floor topples a dinosaur book with an energetic dinosaur
eager to continue the rampage throughout the library.  What a thrill for
Tess to travel through some of her favorite stories as she and the
monsterous creature pounce from one adventure to another---that is, until
Tess realizes that this dinosaur has LOST CONTROL--- it's time for a
dinosaur TIME OUT!!

Toni's colorfully creative depiction of "the monster child in the library"
will bring giggles to young readers as they recognize some of the
misadventures that Tess and her dinosaur have until both are placed in "time
out."  For elementary and preschool teacher-librarians who are searching for
that perfect book to share with new library users (Pre-K through 1st grade),
THIS book will definitely serve as a humorous reminder of how to behave in
the school library.  A definite MUST-HAVE for that "back-to-school" story
time  transition book that leads young library users into learning how to
behave in the school library!  (Wish I had this one ready to give to "Mommy"
yesterday to share with her "little monster!")

~Shonda
--
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Curriculum Materials Librarian

http://okschoollibrarians.wikispaces.com
http://okschoollibrarians.ning.com/

"Digital Resources" columnist
School Library Journal

"It is more than ironic that school districts are willing to spend
hundreds of thousands of dollars on reading programs and staff
development which have had limited success in boosting test scores,
but are unwilling to invest in school library programs that show direct
correlations to student success."

~ Douglas Achterman,  2008 Study of California School Libraries
http://www.lrs.org/impact.php