I received a few requests for a HIT on this topic, but no advice/answers or
places to locate music to play at athletic events if this is a violation.
If anyone has thoughts or help on this now, I'll repost the hit!  It seems
to be a problem in many schools, I'm sorry I don't have a solution!

Original Post:

Dear all,
This recently came up with a discussion with the HS principal in our
district. Students/coaches are currently creating cds for warm up music to
play in the gym and stadiums (not only here, but our whole district). When I
mentioned it was probably a copyright violation, not much was said in
response. These games are a public performance, no permission has been
requested or granted, it is definitely not a face-to-face teahing situation,
and admission is required to attend the games. To me a clear violation.

Two questions: Is it a copyright violation as I believe? and What do other
schools purchase to play that is not a violation of copyright?

It is amazing when searching the web, how many posts on different sites
where people talk about recording or creating their own cds to play for
games.
Thank you all for any help, and I will post a hit if desired.

Barbara Wheatley LMS
Rappahannock County Elementary School
Washington, VA
barbwheatley@gmail.com