I did it again and am sorry. My Optimum online mail service garbles anything I sent
to LM_NET but nowhere else.
Second try:

Thanks for that plug Nancy.

Unfortunately many districts view librarians as liabilities (advanced degrees,
usually high on salary guide) rather than the assets we are.

We need a federal mandate to insure that school children continue to benefit from
our expertise and knowledge.

Legislators in states like Iowa and Oklahoma, where school librarians are mandated,
are trying to change those laws to allow districts to lay off librarians.

Lift school nurse and librarian requirements, (Iowa) GOP leader says

Registered nurse, librarian and guidance counselor mandates in Iowa schoolsshould
be lifted as a way to save money, Senate Republican Leader Paul McKinleysaid this
morning.
“We mandate that they have an RN in every school in spite of the fact thatthey
can’t prescribe an aspirin,” McKinley said during a meeting with The DesMoines
Register. “We have mandated that there be a certified librarian in thisage of
communication. We have mandated a certified guidance counselor. Thosethings alone
are well over $100 million a year at a time when Iowans are out ofwork.”
The legislature has placed school requirements forcounselors, nurses and librarians
within the past five years as a way toprotect children, said Rep. Cindy Winckler,
D-Davenport and chairwoman of theHouse Education Appropriations subcommittee. In
past years, those positionswere among some of the first cut when a district faced
financial troubles, shenoted.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/04/06/should-iowa-lift-school-nurse-and-librarian-requirements/

Josephine Dervan, MLS -Adjunct Instructor
School of Communication and  Information
Rutgers University
dervan at optonline.net

He who has a library and a garden, wants for nothing- Cicero