Dear Great and Wise and Patient Ones:

Many of the high school/middle school students here are so apathetic, so
lazy. Evidently many of their parents don't care either.
I realize that part of the problem is the economy, parents are out of work,
losing their homes, etc.
Teachers are facing declining income, yet are expected to do more.
And it is April.

I never was in favor of tracking students, but I am starting to believe that
tracking is a more practical approach to public education.
Start with kindergarten screeing. Ask parents what they expect of their
children. Track them into classes accordingly.
Periodically throughout their school career, ask students and their parents
again: Are you planning to go to college? Is your goal to graduate? To get a
job?
Students could change tracks if they find the college prep route too
difficult.
Students could change tracks if they decide they want to attend college.

Anyway what about a simple checklist? I don't expect my child to attend
college.
Check the boxes beside the skills I expect my child to learn before they
graduate from high school.
Include boxes like:

   - tie their shoes
   - tell time on a face clock
   - balance a checkbook
   - change a flat tire
   - read at a 4th grade level
   - write a letter
   - use a phonebook
   - etc., etc.

End of course exams and state curriculums could be based on those
checklists.

College prep curriculum would be more like what states require from schools
now.

In other districts, in better economic conditions, in better educated
communities, you may not see the apathy, disrespect, and failure that we do
here.
I hope that is true. Here we are so discouraged. So frustrated.

Thanks for listening, again.

Kay Goss
Mansfield Secondary Library
316 West Ohio Ave.