Please forgive any cross-posting.

I just sent the following text (in the form of a fax) to my senators.
Please join me in encouraging them to co-sponsor and support the bill
that Senator Harkin has introduced today.

A few minutes is all it takes to possibly save millions of jobs.

Feel free to borrow liberally and personalize the text to reflect the
facts for your state. I've included the fact chart below for the state
grant approximations to help you personalize your fax/letter.

____

Fax text

Today, Senator Harkin is introducing a bill that will help stabilize
education jobs. For California this will mean more than 2.8 Billion
dollars in education jobs. This will impact California's school children
dramatically.

Please join Senator Harkin by agreeing to co-sponsor this bill. The bill
will create a $23 billion "Education Jobs Fund," modeled after the State
Fiscal Stabilization Fund (SFSF) that was established in the American
Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Currently the SFSF is supporting more than 300,000 education jobs - such
as teachers, librarians, counselors, and principals. Without additional
resources we will experience a "funding cliff" and more layoffs will
result.

With California at the bottom of the heap in regard to school library
funding I hope you will support this and add your name as co-sponsor to
this very important bill. We need the "Keep Our Educators Working Act"
to prevent further erosion of services in California's schools.

We need you to co-sponsor and support this bill today! I hope to hear
that you agree to co-sponsor this bill this is good for California's
kids and economy.

Education Jobs Fund -- $23 Billion

Estimated State Grants

State

Estimated grant amount

Alabama

$346,988,000

Alaska

$53,799,000

Arizona

$489,395,000

Arkansas

$211,104,000

California

$2,829,865,000

Colorado

$363,917,000

Connecticut

$256,875,000

Delaware

$64,146,000

District of Columbia

$42,544,000

Florida

$1,281,975,000

Georgia

$738,626,000

Hawaii

$91,546,000

Idaho

$117,759,000

Illinois

$977,564,000

Indiana

$478,137,000

Iowa

$224,279,000

Kansas

$213,987,000

Kentucky

$309,224,000

Louisiana

$340,737,000

Maine

$91,235,000

Maryland

$417,136,000

Massachusetts

$475,288,000

Michigan

$749,710,000

Minnesota

$386,894,000

Mississippi

$228,137,000

Missouri

$436,982,000

Montana

$70,760,000

Nebraska

$135,872,000

Nevada

$189,686,000

New Hampshire

$94,744,000

New Jersey

$630,975,000

New Mexico

$151,039,000

New York

$1,437,576,000

North Carolina

$682,635,000

North Dakota

$49,437,000

Ohio

$847,975,000

Oklahoma

$274,994,000

Oregon

$271,405,000

Pennsylvania

$902,797,000

Puerto Rico

$305,668,000

Rhode Island

$77,811,000

South Carolina

$331,504,000

South Dakota

$60,673,000

Tennessee

$450,900,000

Texas

$1,905,520,000

Utah

$232,028,000

Vermont

$44,529,000

Virginia

$572,494,000

Washington

$478,302,000

West Virginia

$126,258,000

Wisconsin

$415,931,000

Wyoming

$39,641,000

Source: Table prepared by the Congressional Research Service, April 9,
2010, based on U.S. Census Bureau population estimates for 2008.

Joy Millam

YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers Committee (2006-2010)

Teacher Librarian/District Library Coordinator

Valencia High School

500 N. Bradford Ave.

Placentia, CA 92870

714-996-4970 x10015