Thank you to all who replied!  May 12, 2010

National School Nurse Day

________________________________

School Nurse Day, May 12, 2010

[cid:image001.jpg@01CADD3D.122923B0]What DO school nurses do? If you ask that
question to 50 school nurses, you will get 50 different answers, and with good
reason! The role of the school nurse is as varied as the spectrum of the rainbow.
School nurses work in pre-schools, elementary, middle, and high schools; they work
in public, private, parochial, and charter schools; they work in urban, suburban
and rural districts; they work in wealthy, middle class, or poverty-stricken areas;
they work at the grass roots level; they are coordinators or supervisors,
consultants, and educators; they are new to school nursing or they are veterans;
they are young and they are not-so-young.

What is the typical school nursing job? Clearly, there is none. Yet, despite the
enormous diversity within the role, school nurses share many commonalities. To
begin, most are passionate about student health and wellness. As I travel to
different states, I have had the opportunity to meet many school nurses and to hear
their stories. I find it most inspiring to see that passion in so many school
nurses! Their desire to promote health and provide the best care possible to
students and their families is remarkable. They are innovative, even in the most
dire of staffing scenarios, and always have the best interest of the child/youth
first.

As we celebrate National School Nurses Day 2010, I hope you will each look at the
difference that you make and take the time to celebrate you! To honor what you do
to improve the health and success of your students, I hope you will use this
opportunity to tell one person about the role of the school nurse. Tell a student,
a parent, a teacher, an administrator, a school committee member, or a
legislator....just tell someone how you make a difference!

I would also ask that you take this time to rally support for NASNs ratio bills
that are currently in the US Congress. These bills (H.R. 2730 and S. 2750) will
pave the way for demonstration projects that will provide the data we need to show
what we already know.....that school nurses truly do improve health and education
outcomes for students. For more information on the bills and how you can help,
visit the NASN Legislative Action
Center<http://www.nasn.org/Default.aspx?tabid=525>.

I wish you all a fulfilling National School Nurses Day and thank you for caring for
America's children, youth, and families!!!
Best,

[cid:image002.jpg@01CADD3D.122923B0]

Sandi Delack
NASN President

Paula Shipley du Feu
Director of the Library
St. Thomas Episcopal Parish School
Coral Gables, FL
pdufeu@stepsmia.org

________________________________
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This email and any files transmitted with it are the property
of the St. Thomas Episcopal Parish School. The information contained in this
transmission is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use
of the individual or entity named above. No addressee should forward, print, copy,
or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed
by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying of this transmission
or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately
reply to sender that you have received this communication in error and then delete
it. Thank you.