I get ahead of myself too often!  I have been condu
Oh, Wise Ones.

I get ahead of myself too often!  I have been conducting a "Read a Million" word
contest and publishing the Top 10 readers each week.  Now that it's getting down to
the wire, I need to start collecting prizes and I'm looking at cut-offs.  I have
grades 2-4 participating, with my lowest Top 10 member at 411,000.  I know they
won't make a million in the next 3 weeks, but I want to reward them anyway.  (I
think I'll have three millionaires- which isn't too bad for the first time around.)

Here's my dilemma.  I'm looking for how many words an average 2nd, 3rd, or 4th
gradeer should read each school year.  If they checked out a book on their level
each week, on average, how many words would be average?  For that matter, can you
expect them to read a chapter book on their level each week?  (I expect that, and
am disappointed most of the time.)  I know these kids are going above and
beyond, and I really want to make a BIG DEAL out of their accomplishments -
especially be recognizing them publically and giving some of this "statistical"
information to their parents.  So help me?  I know I have a ton of resources, but
can't seem to figure out where to start.

Any directions or numbers you can give me will be appreciated!  hg

Holly Gillum, LMS
Anderson Elementary
Crossett, AR 71635
exlibrishg@yahoo.com

"Reading gives you some place to go when you have to stay where you are."  ~Mason
Cooley