Here are some favorites.

            Below grade level:
Casanova, Mary.  Chrissa and Chrissa Stands Strong.
Creech, Sharon.  Granny Torrelli Makes Soup.
Creel, Ann Howard.  Nicki and Thanks to Nicki (sequel).
Danziger, Paula.  The United Tates of America.
Orr, Wendy.  Nim’s Island and Nim At Sea (sequel).
Prelutsky, Jack.  My Dog May Be a Genius and other titles.
Winkler, Henry.  Niagara Falls, or Does It? and other Hank Zipzer novels.
Yep, Laurence.  Mia and Bravo, Mia! (sequel)
   ”          ”            When the Circus Came to Town.

            Approximate grade level:
Avi.  Who Stole the Wizard of Oz?
Bailey, Linda.  The Stevie Diamond mysteries.
Birdsall, Jeanne.  The Penderwicks and The Penderwicks on Gardam Street.
Coombs, Kate.  The Runaway Princess.
Cottonwood, Joe.  Quake!
Creech, Sharon.  Heartbeat.
Funke, Cornelia.  Igraine the Brave.
Giff, Patricia Reilly.  Nory Ryan’s Song; Maggie’s Door; and House of Tailors
(sequels).
   ”          ”           ”       Pictures of Hollis Woods.
Gutman, Dan.  The Kid Who Ran for President and The Kid Who Became President.
Ibbotson, Eva.  The Secret of Platform 13.
Kehret, Peg.  Earthquake Terror.
Koller, Jackie French.  The Keepers trilogy.
Lord, Cynthia.  Rules.
MacDonald, Amy.  No More Nice; No More Nasty; and Too Much Flapdoodle.
Marsden, Carolyn.  Silk Umbrellas.
Marvin, Isabel R.  A Bride for Anna’s Papa.
Snyder, Zilpha Keatley.  Black and Blue Magic.
Stanley, Diane.  The Mysterious Matter of I.M. Fine and The Mysterious Case of the
Allbright Academy (sequel).
Sullivan, George.  Helen Keller: Her Life in Pictures.
Urban, Linda.  A Crooked Kind of Perfect.

“Librarians. . . have been my lifelong friends, guides and heroes.”  Joseph Bruchac
Basya Karp, Librarian

Shulamith High School and Shulamith School For Girls

Brooklyn, New York

basyak10@hotmail.com