Having worked for 11 years in all-boys high school, I understand your
problems.  Our policy - discussed with and endorsed by the principal--
 - All students had to sign in  with their name and ID# to use a computer
entering the time they started, time they ended, computer number and reason
for using computer
 - I moved the printer to where I, my assistant or a teacher in charge could
retrieve the printouts not the student
 - Only I, my assistant or a teacher in charge of the class could retrieve
the printouts
 - I added a code to the printer preferences in the computer that printed
out the date and time and which computer was printing from the 'Net
  - All printouts were 10 cents per page and must be paid before the
printouts would be released
 - I looked at all printouts and anything that was suspect was held to be
reviewed later with a note as to the time printed if it did not appear on
the printout. Depending on the seriousness of what it was, I discussed it
with the student, teacher or the Dean of Students. Since I had the computer
number and the time, I could easily look on the sign-up sheet  and make a
copy highlighting that entry to document who was on that computer at that
time.

It took only a couple of times to get the message across that waste,
unacceptable printout, were not going to be tolerated.  Before I implemented
this I would have two or three reams of paper just sitting there and while I
would re-use the back, it still was wasteful of toner.

Toni Koontz
Retired Librarian
Columbus Ohio