Dear LM_NET members (and lurkers, including vendors, editors, and others),

I wanted to take the time to apologize for not getting back with some of you
during the past week as Oklahoma's school librarians were fighting against
the passage of HB 3029.  Several of you asked for help with adding your
school districts to the "A Nation Without School Librarians" map, some
offered ideas and suggestions, and some provided personal information about
your own school districts---and I never returned your emails!  I apologize
for not responding --- but I plan to do just that within the next day or
so.  My excuse is that during the midst of the "online rally" asking for
help to stop HB 3029, my father-in-law had a heart-attack and was in surgery
over the weekend.  He is doing well and is recovering, but I was completely
exhausted and torn between professional and personal issues all at once.

Now, as the dust settles and I am slowly beginning to see things a bit
clearer, I'm hoping to be able to get back to work on gathering your
information and providing others with ideas, suggestions, and even "an ear
and a shoulder" for support.  I truly appreciate all of the hard work that
each of you have shown and I don't want you to think that I've ignored or
forgotten your help.  (I just can't seem to sleep and write emails at the
same time anymore!)  *grin*

A BIG thank-you to the "grass-roots" movers-and-shakers who helped to make
this possible--- it takes ALL of us, regardless of state borders, to show
support for school libraries and school librarians!  School libraries and
school librarians DO make a difference in the academic achievement of our
students...and if I had a (single) mantra to keep me motivated, that would
be it!!  You know it...you live it each and every day!  But we have to
continue to push harder to make this information become "common knowledge"
among those in K-12 education.

On a different note, I also wanted to share that the Oklahoma Library
Association's conference is being held this week---and I was shocked to
learn during the Opening Session that the changes made to HB 3029 were the
result of the "hard work of the OLA Legislative Committee."  Excuse me?

[ You and I know the "rest of the story"---as native Oklahoman, Paul Harvey,
would say. ]  If you're interested in my "opinion" of that declarative
statement to the OLA membership, please visit my blog:
http://osulibrarian.wordpress.com/

In the meantime, THANK YOU, to everyone who helped Oklahoma's children
through your words, deeds, thoughts, and action!  You DO make a DIFFERENCE
every day and in every way!

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Curriculum Materials Librarian

http://okschoollibrarians.wikispaces.com
http://okschoollibrarians.ning.com/

"Digital Resources" columnist
School Library Journal

"It is more than ironic that school districts are willing to spend
hundreds of thousands of dollars on reading programs and staff
development which have had limited success in boosting test scores,
but are unwilling to invest in school library programs that show direct
correlations to student success."

~ Douglas Achterman,  2008 Study of California School Libraries
http://www.lrs.org/impact.php