From: Teresa Schauer <pettushs@gmail.com>
To: Sara Ralph <bibliophile26@yahoo.com>
Cc: LM_NET@listserv.syr.edu
Sent: Wed, April 21, 2010 7:06:22 PM
Subject: Re: rigging AR

I am replying to the whole list, only because whenever this topic comes up and I
respond, I get a ton of feedback.  The whole "AR Debate" is one I am very
passionate about because the bottom line is, the majority of complaints about the
program involve how it's being implemented.   There is a load of information
available about AR on our library site:
http://pettuslibrary.net/misconceptions.htm

Remember, it's about finding the perfect book for each student--and once a student
is no loger emmerging as a reader, finding that book typically has NOTHING to do
with its book level or it's points.

Blessings,

Teresa

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Sara Ralph <bibliophile26@yahoo.com> wrote:

I disagree...just because there is a bad apple in the cart, doesn't mean we need to
throw away the entire cart.

>Unfortunately, some students (and parents) are dishonest; I would bet money that
>if this student is cheating at AR, he/she is cheating at other things as well.
>
>We have prizes at the end of the year for points.  If a student is caught
>"cheating," they are simply removed from the program and no longer participate.
>Instances are rare (it has been three years since the last one) and our reading
>instruction does not depend heavily on AR; in fact, our teachers' instruction in
>reading focuses more on questions that promote higher level thinking (rather than
>the basic comprehension questions found on AR quizzes (at least the reading
>practice ones).  However, students (esp. beginning readers) feel good about
>themselves when they do well on AR (without any prize or incentive).
>
>Sara Ralph, librarian
>Asheboro, NC

Teresa Schauer
District Librarian/Pettus ISD