Feel as though I should share what I did with Hunger Games.  You can go to my grant
http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=331908  and read a little of
what happened and see photos.  Mainly, I wrote a grant for 68 copies of the Hunger
Games, had students sign up to receive their own copy (only 63 students signed up,
but after the competition, more wished they would have.)  I had the students watch
the interview of Suzanne Collins and her inspiration to write the Hunger Games.
Handed out the books that told them what district they were in, and I told them
about a food drive competition to increase their chance to become a tribute.  As
they read the more food came in, as they understood why it would increase their
chance to become a tribute.  After 2 weeks we had our own day of reaping.  One
student put her name in 25 times, another students name was in only one time, she
was drawn, discussed how that related to the book.

After tributes were drawn, we had a dodge ball competition for mentors of the
district.  These were the only students I explained the games to, they had to
relate it back to their tributes, some did some didn’t.  Within their districts
they choose Stylists, etc.  I blogged questions and those students who answered
received prizes.  2 weeks after the reaping, I transformed the library into a
training facility complete with plant id, first aid information, knot tying
information, etc…  The last day of the week we had our competition.  Tributes had
a score card, lowest score one, as it was by place value.  1st place in food drive
was #1.  The first competition was interviews, and then while the tributes changed
the district members watched Suzanne Collins read Chapter 11 off the scholastic web
site, that explains the cornucopia.  The first game they played was cornucopia, in
which they had to gather as many supplies as possible without their flag
 football flags being torn off.  Then they went to different stations and I had the
National Guard volunteer and run them in relays of ruck sack & sleeping bags.  The
Division of Wildlife ran an archery contest and knot tying contest.  An ambulance
service manned a first aid relay and a retired extension agent did a plant id test.
 After they had completed all stations, they did “Peeta Cakes” which is a fun
flour tag, and then the top 10 played “Tracker Jacker” which was dodge ball
with flag football so you could get the other team out with the dodge ball and your
own team out by stealing their flags.  I had another game planned, which was map
reading, but we ran out of time.  The tributes had fun, and all asked if we could
make this an annual event, even the volunteers! I had a local restaurant donate all
you can eat buffets for our winning district, plus a teacher donated the 2nd book
for a prize.  It was a lot of fun, and if the kids didn’t
 read the book before the games, they read it after!

If you have any questions directly related to this feel free to e-mail my work:
bournial@re1valleyschools.org versus my yahoo.mail

Lynn Bournia, Library Secretary
Caliche HS
Iliff, CO  80736