Dear colleagues:

First of all, I should say upfront that this post is not an assessment
of the merits and demerits of Big Noodle Books. Maybe I'm off the mark,
but I think it's really more about fear and subsequent institutional
paralysis...

In my middle school, we had parent conferences last night. They're
usually good events for staging book fairs, especially in the fall when
the building still smells like new clothes and attitudes towards
education are at peak freshness.

I did a Scholastic Book Fair in the Fall--and I'm glad I did--because,
within a month, what was left of our meager budget had already been
frozen.

Nothing against Scholastic Book Fairs, but I don't like to go to that
well more than once a year so, as spring approached, I started exploring
alternative fundraising options. We have a Barnes & Noble about 15 miles
from here, so I met with them and talked about staging a book fair
entirely in their store. You probably know how that works: you do what
you can to drive your school community to the store on a given evening
or two and you get a cut of whatever they buy. It's a good deal if you
can get some teaching colleagues on your side to put together some
in-store events--art exhibits, performances, etc.--to bring in traffic.
I told my principal that I was interested in doing so and staging a
Barnes & Noble fundraiser, and he expressed support.

Maybe it was the approaching holidays, but I couldn't get any fellow
teachers to commit to join me in adding an appealing event or two to
induce parents to drive to the adjacent town. Sensing an epic fail, I
tabled the idea.

Then, with conference night approaching and library space limited due to
a week-long series of assemblies scheduled in the facility, I found what
I thought was the perfect solution right in my email inbox.

It was an issue of School Library Journal's "Extra Helping," and one of
the articles profiled this relatively new company that lets you set up a
book fair fundraiser entirely online. All you have to do is the
publicity; print some flyers, send some emails, make an announcement or
two, and post links to your school's designated URL. I contacted them
and they responded quickly. The rep I talked to was especially friendly
and accommodating. I went to the office to seek permission and, finding
the principal out, ran it past the assistant principal. "Sounds good, as
long as, you know, the books are appropriate," she said.

I set up the fair at  https://www.bignoodlebooks.com/hwms48843

As conference night began, posters were up, links posted, flyers stacked
and ready for parents to take home. Shortly after the evening was under
way, the principal popped in.

"There's a little problem with the book fair," he said, "apparently some
of the material isn't appropriate." He suggested I type the term
"marijuana" into the sites search field. I did and several titles about
aspects of marijuana came up.

It's an online book store, I said, just like Amazon.com. They sell
titles for all ages and interests. While not everything is middle school
appropriate, there's a prominent MIDDLE SCHOOL interest level menu
option on the left hand side of the page, a Lexile search option, and
they let me select featured titles for the population I serve and
thumbnails of those titles occupy most of the space on the page.

He was not assuaged; he asked me to cancel the sale.

Posters down, links removed, flyers in the recycle bin...

This morning, the assistant principal poked her head in to make sure I'd
removed the link to the sale from my school library page. I assured her
I had.

"I can't believe some of the stuff I found on that site," she said.

Really? It seemed like typical bookstore content to me, I said. Is it
any different than what you'd find on Amazon.com or anywhere else?

"Probably not," she answered.

Soooo...what's the difference between doing an online fundraiser like
this and one that entails driving traffic to Barnes & Noble, for
instance, where the scope of the material is the same?

"The difference is that if I go to the bookstore with my family, I can
tell them not to go to this or that section."

And that, my friends, is where I'll end the story.

I'd love your opinions on this. Are my building admins right? Am I
missing something? What would most parents' opinions likely be? In
addition to all my confirmed shortcomings, am I also a degenerate smut
peddler? Anyone else have a similar experience?

I also invite you to visit Big Noodle Books and sample their selection.
How does it compare to other book merchant's offerings? Should they
"protect" potential customers by offering book fair admins the
opportunity to apply, for instance, a grade level filter that blocks
content not in the selected range?

Enjoy your weekend.

Jeffrey Hastings
School Librarian, Still Trying to Do His Best,
Michigan

Please reply to shankhead at gmail dot com

LEGAL NOTICE:

the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action
in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.