You'll also discover that once the "old books" have been removed from the
collection, the rest of the collection (that was always there but hidden by
the old books) suddenly circulate much more frequently.  I've removed
hundreds of titles from our juvenile collection (most have gone to archival
locations, special collections, or storage) and the more current and higher
quality resources can now easily be seen when patrons browse the shelves.
Many think that we've purchased a LOT of new stuff when, in fact, it's been
here hidden on the shelves.

Any "extra shelf space" that you think suddenly appears as a huge gap
because of the weeding, can then be used to display books or realia / 3-D
objects.  (I have done this to serve a couple of purposes --- 1) these
objects fill the space and provide additional reference for browsers or
non-readers / ESL readers of what subject content might be in the books
shelved there, and 2) to provide ME with a visual reminder of the specific
range in the DDC that I need to add more books to the collection.  As new
books are purchased for those areas, I just remove the objects.

--
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Curriculum Materials Librarian

http://okschoollibrarians.wikispaces.com
http://okschoollibrarians.ning.com/

"Digital Resources" columnist
School Library Journal

"It is more than ironic that school districts are willing to spend
hundreds of thousands of dollars on reading programs and staff
development which have had limited success in boosting test scores,
but are unwilling to invest in school library programs that show direct
correlations to student success."

~ Douglas Achterman,  2008 Study of California School Libraries
http://www.lrs.org/impact.php