I've been in this situation a few times. Once I knew who would be on
the selection committee, I went to each of those folks and asked if
they would like me to give them some pertinent questions to ask each
candidate "since you'll have to work with them after I leave."  In
most cases the other supervisors were delighted to be given that info,
and several even went to TPTB to ask why I wasn't on the selection
committee....
IOW, use a little 'assertive courtesy' and you can have an impact.

Alice Yucht

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Ed Nizalowski <ed.nizalowski@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got 10 to 15 responses regarding this inquiry.  The norm seems to be
> that the librarian doesn’t have that much input in selecting a
> replacement, but this is not universally the case.  In my building the
> selection committee is made up of department heads with the building
> principal.  So in my case, the head of the language department and the
> head of the math department have more say in the selection process
> than myself.  As the old cliché goes: Is there something wrong with
> this picture?
>        I feel that I have good rapport with my building principal.  She
> values the library and library services.  The librarians in my
> district have presented to the Board of Education and I have had
> articles in the local papers about the importance of my profession.  I
> thought about expressing my concerns, but at this point, I don’t feel
> like making any waves.  Since there were only two candidates, I have
> confidence that the committee will make the right choice for my
> successor, but I think that it behooves us to “worm” our way into the
> selection process whenever feasible.
>
> Ed Nizalowski
> Newark Valley High School
> Newark Valley, NY
> ed.nizalowski@gmail.com

>  You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>  by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET
> 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL
> 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST
>
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://lmnet.wordpress.com/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/join.html
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/
>  * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

Alice Yucht, aka Alice in InfoLand
lifetime Teacher-Librarian, now freelancing as
Rutgers/SCILS/PDS faculty,
writer, consultant, speaker, mentor,
and catalytic curmudgeon.
Highland Park, New Jersey
http://aliceinfo.squarespace.com/blog
ayucht@gmail.com

"We may be service-oriented, but we don't have to be servants."