Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded. I was asked to post a HIT, so here it is,

"Does anyone have any good ideas for instructing 9th graders on how to
formulate a research question? This is in preparation for their MYP Personal
Projects."

Hope these are helpful to some of you.

Thanks,
Ilana Locker

Secondary School Librarian
International School of Tanganyika
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

******

 I give them two options, I have word dice that they can roll and it will
give them the beginning of the sentence and they have to complete the
sentence.  Or I give them a list of question stems, and they fill them out.

To buy the dice, google the ITT Research Method.

Here is a list of some of my question stems:

How do/does/did...

What procedures or actions...
What problems...
What happens when...
What is/was the role of ..in..
What is/was the role of...in
What is/was the difference between...
What causes/caused...
What are/were the effects/results of...
How/why did...decide to...
Who/what influenced...to...
What is/was the realtionship between...and...
What are the competing sides...
How does/did....change...

I received a very helpful list of resources from Gerry Solomon and he said
that if anyone was interested, I could direct you to him (since we can't
attach to the listserv). Gerry's email is GSolomon@dpi.state.nc.us

This is good.     http://library.acadiau.ca/tutorials/research/
Vaughn Memorial Library at Acadia University hosts really good 10 minute
animated tutorials designed to teach lessons on web research strategies.

In Credible Sources Count students learn how to recognize the validity of
information on the Internet. It's a good tutorial except for a strong
emphasis on using domain names for determining validity.

Research It Right walks students through the process of forming a research
question through the actual research steps.

Searching With Success shows students how search engines function. The
tutorial gives clear examples and directions for altering search terms.

You Quote It, You Note It shows students what plagiarism is and how to avoid
accidentally plagiarizing someone's work.

<http://www.sdst.org/shs/library/>

http://www.sdst.org/shs/library/

This website is Springfield High School, where Joyce Valenza is the
librarian.  It has a wealth of information.

This wiki has slides and scroll down to the thesis as an equation.

http://thesisdevelopment.wikispaces.com

OWL is good too.

I think you could find something to use at

www.readwritethink.org       <http://www.readwritethink.org/>or search the
emints site.

**