Richie's Picks: KEEPER by Kathi Appelt,  Atheneum, May 2010, 416p., ISBN:
978-1-4169-5060-8

[If you are the woman (accompanied by the  voraciously-reading daughter)
with whom I conversed at the Books of  Wonder event, please let me know you
read this message so that I will stop  worrying about somehow locating you in
order to let you know that this  is the book to get.]

"Do you believe in magic in a young girl's  heart?"
-- John Sebastian

"In that very moment Keeper became intensely aware of the  crabs in the
tub.  She could hear their pinchers snapping in a nervous  frenzy.   But when
she squatted down next to them, they stopped and  became perfectly still.
For the first time ever, she noticed the delicate  markings on their shells,
saw the perfect symmetry of their heart-shaped backs  and the imperfect
balance of their large and small claws.   Suddenly,  the crabs seemed beautiful
to her, all of them facing her, looking up at  her.
"Oh no! she thought.  Signe was going to drop  them into boiling water,
drop them in alive.  Their wonderful shells, blue  and brown and white, would
turn pink and then red in the hot liquid.   Keeper's stomach did a flip.  She
couldn't look at them.
"She turned away from the tub and hurried to the bathroom,  where she sat
down hard on the edge of the bathtub.  The porcelain finish  felt ice cold
through the seat of her pajamas.  Her heart beat like mad  against her chest.
As mad as the crabs.  She grabbed one of her great  grandmother's white
cotton towels and bit it.
"What to do?"

I've been enjoying telling friends about a recent  adventure.  Amidst my
just-completed two months  of living on the South Fork of Long Island (while
engaged  in a temporary training and supervisory gig for the Census Bureau),
I  took off one afternoon and drove to Northport.  Once  there, I spent
hours walking the lanes that are nestled up alongside the  edge of the Harbor;
eventually weaving my way up into the neighborhood that  overlooks the water;
and then I hiked over to the public library where I  was going to be
conducting a workshop the following week.

The part I enjoy telling everyone about is how Northport is  so special to
me because I would often get dropped off there by myself as a  child in the
mid-Sixties.  For seven dollars I could rent an old  rowboat for the entire
day.  I'd row out through Northport Harbor past all  of the moored ships
and, then, into and around Northport Bay.  There  were a number of times,
having rowed out to the far end of the  Bay, when the swells would begin to rise
and fall dramatically and the wind  and tide would mightily conspire to
thwart my return to the safety of  the Harbor.  Some of those episodes in the
middle of the Bay were  unquestionably amongst the scariest moments of my
childhood.  That I spent those hours muscling my way back  safely made for
adventures that forever transformed the shy, quiet,  oldest child who I'd been.
Those sojourns wrenched me out of my  shell, gave me a real measure of
confidence, (and led to reoccurring water  dreams).

The part that I haven't been sharing with anyone is  that on those days out
rowing, I'd have a fishing rod with me and I'd  always spend some time
fishing.  And I don't like thinking or talking about  that part because then I
have to think about how perfectly fine I felt at that  point in my life,
sawing the head off of a live, suffocating fish; slicing  open its stomach
cavity; and eviscerating it.  It was squishy and  gross but, in performing the
operation as I'd been taught, I did it  with no more thought than one would
expend whilst unearthing a carrot,  twisting off its top, and shredding it for
a  salad.

I feel revulsion for having grown up seemingly without any  sensibility for
what I was really doing, for having grown  up presuming that being human
made me unique and superior,  gave me the right to take the lives of other
creatures and to do  so with nary a thought as to the gravity of what I was
doing.  It  is an ugly little part of me that I do my best to keep well-hidden
behind the decades that followed.

At college, I resided toward the Ag corner of  campus.  On a whim, I
accepted an invitation to join some  dorm mates one afternoon after classes
(without a thought as to  what would really be involved) in heading over to watch
a half-dozen  pigs get slaughtered.

Witnessing that process finally did it for me.  My  a-ha moment.  I watched
what they did to Wilbur and his  siblings.  I was a vegetarian soon
thereafter.  Still am.

When I think sad thoughts about all of the great,  wild mammals that were
relatively abundant during my childhood but have  been steadily killed off
and are all now on the brink of extinction,  I think how I've long wished that
I'd been born with some sort  of sense that every living creature has a
place, has  significance, and should be respected.

Sometimes I wish so badly I could just have a  do-over.

"Gumbo.  Ukulele.  Night-blooming  cyrus.
Stars in a line.
All on a blue moon night."

And that has got to be what Keeper feels as she sits in a  rowboat in the
middle of the night -- a long-awaited blue moon summer  night -- that follows
the day when everything goes so wrong, beginning with  her hearing the
crabs speak to her, and her subsequently liberating them from  their starring
role in Signe's blue moon gumbo.

"And don't let love go by"
--Joanne Rand, "Grant Me Eyes"

Keeper lives on Oyster Ridge Road, an isolated, oyster  shell-paved
Gulf-side road in the middle of a Texas state park.   The residents of Oyster Ridge
Road are the elderly Mr. Beauchamp with his  one-eyed cat Sinbad; the
stuttering Dogie, who runs Dogie's Beach Umbrella and  Surfboard Shop out of what
had once been the yellow school bus he'd arrived  in from New Jersey; and
Signe, the young, water-fearing Iowa native who has  raised Keeper here since
that day when Keeper turned three and her birth  mother Meggie Marie swam
away forever.  (I absolutely love Captain, the  watermelon-craving,
scene-stealing seagull.)

"Stupid crabs."

It is on this magical night of the summer blue moon  -- the night that
follows a day during which Keeper succeeds  in hurting the feelings of every one
of the adults who care about her --  that she and her faithful dog BD sneak
out after  bedtime and steal Dogie's rowboat in order to head for  the
sandbar in hopes of seeking advice from her long-lost mermaid  mother.

KEEPER is the story of this fateful night and the  individual stories of
the human and animal residents of Oyster Ridge  Road, each of whom will play
an essential role in  this night.

KEEPER, by Newbery Honor author Kathi  Appelt, is one of those couple of
books in the category of If You Are  Just Going to Read a Couple of Books This
 Year...

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
(http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

FTC  NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.