Hi All,

 Here's my review of Keeper by Kathi Appelt.  Richie just sent a beautiful one out
the other day and I'm echoing his praise.

Keeper by Kathi Appelt  Simon and Schuster May 18, 2010  ages 9-12  402 pages

"What makes a ten year old girl think she can go out in a boat alone, at night,
with only her dog for a sailing mate?"  The immediate answer to that question in
this book is muscles but there's much more to the story.  You see Keeper,  who is
the ten year old girl in question, has made a real mess of things.  When white
haired Signe who watches over Keeper starts to make blue moon gumbo for this very
special night and finds she doesn't have enough pepper sauce, she tells herself
everything will be all right for the thirty minutes she'll be gone to the store.
But just for that moment she seems to have forgotten it's Keeper she's talking
about.  This is the Keeper who believes her mother is a mermaid and who can hear
the crabs telling her they don't want to go into that gumbo pot.  This is the same
Keeper who has a very special dog named BD who gives stealth kisses.  And this is
the Signe who carried the newborn Keeper from the ocean when Keeper's mother gave
birth to her.  She should have known better but on this special night of the blue
moon, Signe was making her blue moon gumbo because a very special man, Dogie, is
probably at long last going to ask a very special question.  Keeper knows all of
this and that is the real reason she is taking the boat out.  You see, while Signe
was gone on her errand, Keeper released all the crabs back to the sea and now she
wants to make amends and bring some crabs back to the kitchen and back to Signe who
has cared for her since she was a baby.  So, Keeper takes Dogie's boat and BD hops
in and off they sail on what should be a simple adventure.  The lifestory of
another neighbor is intertwined with the story and brings an element of magic to
the tale. Talk about storytelling.  This is another uncoiling story where you feel
the magic and the danger in slow release doses.  But at the end get your tissue box
ready because Kathi Appelt reaches your heart with a well concocted recipe -all the
right ingredients for a great read.

Join me on abookandahug.com!

Cheers,
Barb