Thank you guys for helping me out in a pinch!  I've got some GREAT places to start,
and this is why I love the listserv!!  I'm in the midst of creating mine because of
great people's ideas and will post it when I'm done.  Here's a compilation of
emails sent that made my life easier today : )

HOW ARE DATABASES LIKE CHOCOLATE?
http://www.gananda.org/webpages/hslibrary/files/GALE OV & EBSCO Database
Activity.doc (
http://www.gananda.org/webpages/hslibrary/files/GALE%20OV%20&%20EBSCO%20Database%20Activity.doc
 )
The kids are very enthusiastic about the introduction.  They enjoy trying out the
searches.  They like being the teacher for the class activty.  The downside is, it
is quite lengthy.  I have tried to fit in into one period (80 minute block periods
here) - but we never get done and it does get a bit tedious towards the end.  I am
trying to think of a way to shorten it or to keep the interest level going.  They
start out enthusiastic and then things wane a bit.  I will probably cut out some of
the questions and/or schedule 2 periods.

Gale has a starting point in their Toolbox and Facts on File has their info sheets.
When I redo my pages this summer, I am planning to take the easy way out and link
to those at least to start.

Yes I do. I teach through the powerpoint. I have done screen captures and go step
by step  how to use them. I also talk about internet safetly (meaning evaluation of
websites) and using easy bib for citations and works cited. I tailor them to the
subject  of the class that is coming in. I’m attaching one I did for the faculty.
Looks like I took out the slides on evaluation of websites. As you can see, I use
the animations to highlight what I’m talking about, and also so I can be reminded
of what I want to talk about.

We don't use Gale, but here's what I've put together for others. Don't know if any
of it will help.

www.wheredoistart.pbworks.com

I don't have one ready because I usually adapt very much to what the students are
working on at that time. So, I might find out a common topic of the students and do
a sample search.  My talk usually goes something like this:

1) Explanation of what databases are / what's in them that they can't find
elsewhere & why they are valuable
2) Explanation of how to get to the databases from home (accompanied by a password
card)
3) Sample search in the database of choice w/ students doing same searach
--depending on lesson show how you can narrow searches (adding keywords, using
subject headings, etc.)
4) Show retrieval options--printing, emailing, saving, etc.

I don't have a formal lesson plan but, I usually give my students a list
of topics and have them find articles in the appropriate databases. I
ask them to fill out the title of the article and the name of the
database and sometimes the MLA citation. I start out with general topics
and then get more specific. Hope this helps,

You might try support.gale.com and look at their guided tutorials. I have used some
of these with classes and found them to be very helpful. I have used them as an
intro and then given students hands-on. Also Region 20 has a lesson in its
instructional recipe section on databases vs. Wikipedia or something like that. It
is for middle grades so I think it could be adapted. Generally, I like Region 20’s
instructional recipes. Good Luck.

I saw this on the listserv and thought this might help her out. I thought you could
send this url along to her and be her heroes J
http://www.galeschools.com/lesson_plans/
One part of Gale our students like is the Student Resource Center. Search for full
text articles. At the end of the article is the citation. Copy the citation, paste
it in a text box in Word. The text box should measure 2.5" X 4.5". Print the box,
cut it out, glue it to a 3" X5" index card. One source card completed.

And I have recieved many amazing attachments, which aren't a part of this, but I
thank everyone from Texas to Maryland and beyond for all their help : )
Hmmmmm....I'm seeing a programming idea for TLA in this exercise.....

Naomi Bates
Northwest HS Library Justin, Texas
TASL chair-elect, Texas Library Association
nbates@nisdtx.org
817-215-0203

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu