Thank you to those who responded.  Our administration has since blocked
the website, but I think they, and our nurse will be interested to read
some of this  information.  I originally wrote:

Our school nurse recently sent us an email concerning a website called:
http://www.i-doser.com/

Here is what she said: "I wanted you to be aware of a new technology
kids are using.  This technology is call "digital drugs" which is being
used with cell phones and ipods. Please go to the website
http://uco360.com/?p=4814.  There you will see a story about this type
of technology which are mood enhancing musical tones known to create
hallucinations."

My husband teaches AP science (bio, chem, environmental) and is one of
the smartest people I know.

Here's what he had to say:

Based on the little bit that i've read, it doesn't seem possible. The
places that are touting it describe the physiology in vague and often
incorrect ways. Below is text copied from the only semiserious-minded
blurb I could find about the phenomenon (a USA Today article).

Many of the articles I saw are two years old+, which also leads me to
believe that there is very little to this. If it really was a legit way
to get high, I think lots more kids would be doing it, and it would be
bigger news.

The binaural beats that are used to supposedly induce these drug-like
effects have been used for a while to assist with hypnosis and
meditation.

I don't doubt that for some people, they could listen and "feel"

something, but I do doubt that sounds would have the ability to
significantly change brain functioning.

Do digital drugs work?

Many are skeptical about the effects of digital drugs. Few scientific
studies have been conducted on binaural beats. However, a Duke
University study suggests that they can affect mood and motor
performance.

Dr. Nicholas Theodore, a brain surgeon at Barrow Neurological Institute
in Phoenix, said there is no real evidence that idosers work. But he
noted that musical preference is indicative of emotional vulnerability.
Trying idosers could indicate a willingness to experiment with drugs and
other dangerous behavior.

Theodore added that idosers are another reason to monitor kids' Internet
usage. And, he said, kids need frank talks with their parents about
correct choices.

"I suspect this 'Pied Piper' phenomenon will pass rapidly and quietly,"
he said.

I watched the video link and

>went to the website itself-- sounds ridiculous to me! I tried to learn

>more about the claim of "digital drugs" but no one seems to be paying

>attention-- except the one university news channel (which almost, but

>not quite, seemed like a joke). Just curious if you were able to learn

>anything else.

See USA Today article
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/2008-08-07-digital-dru
gs_N.htm

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  How long can kids sit plugged into
your computers wearing earphones?  They are more likely to do it with
their own portable devices.

Beth - I was shocked after seeing the video on here, I have our tech
department researching it etc.   The i-d0ser.com site is blocked by our
filters but it appears that you tube can get them to the same thing.
I'll let you know what we uncover here.  USA today has written about the
digital drug so there is some truth to it all.   What will they think of
next?   Please let me know what else your learn.

Cynthia Feimster

Great Valley High School

Library Assistant

Ski Club Co-Advisor

Ice Hockey Advisor

cfeimster@gvsd.org

After following your link, I watched an "idoser" video on youtube and
found it to be nothing more than music (kind of relaxing, actually). It
seems like one of those things where people listening need to have a
certain suspension of disbelief in order to self-induce any sort of
reaction. Other than that, it looks like hysteria over nothing.

As for the www.i-doser.com <http://www.i-doser.com/>  site, they are
selling "legal" drugs - herbs and pills - that I imagine a school
district would not approve of for student use. It doesn't appear to
offer anything legitimately educational.

Hope that helps.

Hilary Gindi

There's an interesting article on all of the hype around binaural beats
at Mind Hacks.

http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2008/08/digital_drugs_emerge.html

Based on website evaluation criteria, the site not legitimate.  There is
no address or about us.  I click on support and only received error
messages.  This might be a good teaching site for website evaluation.

Robin Shoup

Certified Teacher-Librarian

Maricopa High School

45012 W. Honeycutt Ave.

Maricopa, AZ  85139

520-568-8100 Ext. 4147

Here is an article from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/2008-08-07-digital-dru
gs_N.htm

Beth Molski

Librarian

Stevens Point Area Senior High School

1201 North Point Dr.

Stevens Point, WI 54481

715-345-5406

I am currently reading Looking for Alaska by John Green.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu