Sarah (and others),

When I began working as a school librarian (years ago), the library was VERY
small, so I had to come up with a creative solution to your problem to
establish credibility. I worked with the local public library and we
established the Book Bag program. Simply put, classroom teachers request, by
filling out an online form, a bag of books (usually about 60 or so) on
whatever topic they desire. These are then sent to the school via the
library delivery van for a period of 30 days. At the end of that period, the
van picks them up. This has worked out really well. My library books are
then available for students to check out on their own. Sometimes the
teachers ask to add our books to those from the public library to preclude
any student from getting too much "extra help" from home.
Teachers continue to use this program and others we established even though
the school library is now sufficient for most of their needs. A great
relationship with the public library was a godsend during my first years as
a SLMS.

HTH
Donna Trenda
Retired LMS