This is a good idea (message below), and when I had more than one class
doing the same research topics, I carried it a step further.

I had a sheet of paper folded vertically for each book pulled from the shelf
and placed on the book cart. The first person to use the selected book was
instructed to write the title, author, call letters at the top of that
sheet. Then he/she would write his/her name and class period. That paper
stayed in the book throughout the research project.

Each student who used the book added his/her name and period. After each
class, it was very easy for me or the teacher to scan the book carts to make
sure all of the papers were sticking out the top of the books. Near the end
of the project the slower students or those who had been absent were allowed
to check the books out overnight if they came in after school and brought
them back the next morning before classes started.

That process did two things. It helped ME to know which books were most used
and it helped STUDENTS to know that others were using the same book and to
be considerate of their need.

I love being retired, but I *DO* miss those research projects! (I'm just
glad I don't have to grade the papers! I *did* assist the teachers by
checking the finished bibliographies, but the teachers graded the papers.)

Betty Dawn
--
Betty Dawn Hamilton (Using retired years to keep up with current events!)
LMS (Middle & High School)