I didn't prioritize, but here are some great hits:
**********************
I had this happen this past year with animals, habitats, and poetry. All separate
units/grade levels/teachers. I got a cart and pulled some materials with enough
books for everyone in the classroom. I especially pulled one copy from those I knew
I had that were multiple copies. That left some on the shelves still, especially if
it's your 500s/animals. I still allowed them the 2 book check-out, but not on the
same topic of animals, or whatever they're studying. That way it left enough for
others.
When I had several teachers needing a cartful of the same subject, I staggered the
dates the teacher had them, or asked them to share with the teacher closest to
them.

***************

Hi Sarah!  In these instances I gather up the required items and put them into bins
or on a book cart, then check out the whole thing to the teacher.  If the whole
grade level is using the cart, I check them out to the most responsible of the
teachers and make them responsible for keeping track of which kids are using which
books.  I discourage them from letting the students take the books home (or even
put them in their desks).  When I do the check-out, I print a list of the items on
the fly, so they can jot down the initials of the kid(s)who are using various
titles if they wish, Then they have an inventory list to work from.  I rarely lose
books using this system, and it doesn't affect the student check out records.

*************
 If it is a curriculum area that is every year, I make sure that I have enough
materials to share... I may even unload a set of encyclopedia into the classroom. I
pull the books for the topic and make the classroom teacher responsible for sharing
the materials and give an e-mail to the other classroom teachers as in " all the
New Amsterdam books are in Edna's classroom, you may want to grab some" or I pull
all of Ancient Egypt and divide them between the 4th grade classroom, drop them off
and write and e-mail- Ancient Egypt books are in your classrooms, not all titles
are duplicated please share. If a class will be doing research in the library, I do
not preselect, we go through how to find and evaluate materials, print up a list
then search the shelves together... Ancient Rome could be in the 900s but the
clothing of Ancient Romans might be contained in a book somewhere else.

*****************
Thanks for asking the question. I have a "Susy Teacher" in one of my buildings and
I never know what to do about it. Besides taking all of the best books for research
projects, she also comes in a few weeks before a holiday and takes all of the best
and newest for her classroom. These, of course, are returned a couple of weeks
after the holiday has come and gone.

My only solution is to tell the other teachers in her grade level that if their
students need these materials, she has them and maybe they could share. For the
holiday books, I have considered asking her to return them within one week and
choose new ones at that time. I haven't done this yet, as I don't want to offend
her and have her stop using the library.

*****************

 My school has 1100 k-2 students. That means 15 Kindergartens, 19 1st grades and 15
2nd grade classes. And, we have a coherent curriculum...meaning everyone should be
on the same page at the same time...changing schools will be transparent to the
student?!
So, even though I have a well stocked library collection, no way near big enough to
meet everyone wanting the same books at the same time (holiday books? Forget it!).
Each grade level is broken into teams (last year 3 per level, I think 1st will have
4 teams this year). They share books within their teams. They also sometimes share
from team to team, which means I sometimes lose track of books and often just plain
lose the books. They do their best, they know that I do to. Thank goodness for a
wonderful public library and for teachers who have over the years developed
classroom libraries.
Your awareness should help you do a few things to deal with the issues: never give
all the books on a topic to a teacher (leave some for other teachers and for
students); be creative in your searching (sometimes a fiction book will do nearly
as well as a non-fiction); get every last non-fiction book that may deal with the
topic (check your indexes) and keep a listing of these not-quite-on-topic but
useful books for next year so you don't have to search over and over; supplement
your collection with paperbacks in these high-demand areas; and, use these
situations as the appropriate time to let your Principal know you need a bigger
budget.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu