Hello All,

I have been the librarian in a middle school, grades 6-8, for 5 years. The first 2
years I was required to teach a class that we called "Library Skills" for 1 period
a day, but since then the principal has managed to free me up with a completely
flexible schedule, which has worked out extremely well in our school. I have been
able to collaborate with teachers in teaching research skills and I've done a lot
of book talks, individual readers' advisory,etc.

I have just been forewarned that I may need to teach one class every other day to
6th grade this year because we are moving to a rotating schedule and my principal
isn't sure he can see any way around it. I am completely comfortable that he
understands and appreciates what I do and will not give me the class if he doesn't
have to.  That is not my issue.

The issue is: what should I teach? The principal is entirely flexible so I can
teach whatever I'd like. In the past, I have taught research skills, but I would
like to try something different. I am "competing" in a way with other exploratory
classes that are perceived by the students as much more fun - it is their time
outside of academics to explore other subjects such as drama, computers, gym, band,
chorus, tech. ed. NO ONE chose to take "Library Skills" in the past if s/he had a
choice, and I feel that the fact that I was teaching such a class reflected on the
way they saw the library as a whole.

Also, I see the need for more reading practice among much of our population, and I
would love to run a sort of "reading appreciation" class, or something that might
be enjoyable, a little outside the norm, engaging, and also improve their reading
skills. Maybe incorporate book trailers (with which I don't have any experience
YET), blogging, something along those lines....

What would you teach to a mixed-ability class of 6th grade students if your choices
were wide open? Have you taught such a class and was it successful?

Any ideas you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sarah

Sarah Woo, MS, School Library Teacher
Holten-Richmond Middle School