Thank you to all the people that gave ideas for library centers. I have
included everything I received, and also the center ideas I used from last
year.
I hope you get good use from these ideas. THANK YOU!

I did a center for each reference book.
"scavenger hunt" for answers in the almanac/ getting questions to stump
their classmates
map/globe skills using grid lines and writing directions using only the
cardinal directions
finding a book in the library
Colorado Bingo
drawing and labeling a map with an atlas
using an encyclopedia to find information on a well known famous place
(Niagara Falls, Eiffel Tower, Mount Rushmore, etc.)
re-writing a story using a thesaurus
using a dictionary to learn 5-10 new words they didn't know
book reviews

Robert:

http://www.marcias-lesson-links.com/CentertimeintheClassroom.html
http://www.vema.gen.va.us/conference/06handouts/manners-proefrock.pdf

Kerrlita Westrick:

Dewey "Memory Game"
"Reader of the Day" (one child reads aloud and then they rotate within the
small group)
Small White boards for writing practice
Phonics skills sheets
Write a letter center with a mailbox
Riddles
Alphabetical order
Fact or fiction?  Or Real or Make-believe?
Drama center (costumes, simple play)
Rhyming center
Coloring center
I Spy
Story blocks
Writing center with pockets with words (nouns, verbs, etc)
Make a book
Make and take bookmark
Art
Typing (with old typewriter)
Magazine browse
Listening
Puppets
Pop-up books
Animals
Use a computer with a CD-ROM as a center
Puzzles
Theme table (dinosaurs, zoo animals, farm animals, sea animals, etc)
Matching games
U.S. Puzzle center
Caldecott center
Poetry
Maps and/or globes
Optical illusions
Math

Debbie Allen:

My gr. 1 & 2 classes like magazine centers--Zoobooks, Highlights, etc.; also
puzzles and listening centers. I usually scribble on my seating charts to
help do that.

Christine Schein:

Find out units that each grade level is doing and base your activities on
that...also work with primary sources no matter what the unit. Westward
Expansion - Lewis and Clark primary sources. There are great "Museum in a
Book" books available for purchase. Keep a spreadsheet or a chart and assign
a student to keep track of their class or have each student keep track with
a sticker - could also set up a wiki or use google docs for students to
track their progress.

Cara Sanderlin:

Try an "around the world" theme where each month I picked a different
country, you easily find literature to represent each country, and you are
incorporating s.s./science and some math too.  I did this one year in my
classroom (2nd grade) and we had a blast with it!  We even gave the kids
passports (they can be printed from a template found online) with a picture
of each country that we would "visit" and when they had finished the
activity they got a stamp.  Of course this was done with 17 students...not
the whole school, but I guess it's worth a try.  Maybe you could pick a
country for each grade?

Maddie Wood
Teacher Librarian
Lowry Elementary