Hi Gang,

The next book I picked up to review was too good -I have to share it too.

It's BONES by Steve Jenkins  (this guy does everything well)

If I showed you a picture of a bone, do you think you could tell me who it belonged
to and where exactly it would fit into the whole skeleton?  You just might be able
to do that after taking a look at and a read through this brilliantly organized and
illustrated book on bones.  The skull on the cover will attract a certain sort of
reader but just as all of our bones fit together nicely, this book unfolds
figuratively and literally, to show us how some bones support others and then how
they fit together to protect us and help us move about.  Using dark backgrounds to
help the beige bones stand out clearly, you get a chance to compare our arm bone
with that of a turtle or a spider monkey or maybe a gray whale.   You get the scale
of the bones too so you know that the thigh bone you are looking at is four times
that size in real life.  It ends with "some assembly required" displaying all 206
of the bones in a human body laid out as though it's a model waiting for you to put
the pieces where they belong.  It's fun and imaginative and beautifully displayed
with several gatefolds promising wonderful surprises.  By the way, what do the
Eiffel Tower and a human bone have in common?  48 pages  Ages 7-12

Best,
Barb

Back to work on abookandahug.com!

Barb Langridge