Thanks to everyone who generously offered up so many great reading  ideas
for YA boys.
I am busily reviewing and ordering.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Steve

Check out the author  Mal Peet- Soccer fiction (Keeper, Exposure, The
Penalty)
With that in mind,  David Levithan has two new novels out--Love is the
Higher Law and Wide  Awake.
We had Matt de la Pena  visit our district last year.  He has written 3
novels and has a 4th coming  out in October.

Ball Don't Lie (which has been made into a  movie)
Mexican White Boy
We Were Here
Lockdown:  Escape  From the Furnace 1 by Alexander Gordon Smith.
some titles i read  this summer that would appeal to guys include:
Body  Finder
Dawn and  Dusk
Lockdown (Meyer but  also Volponi)
Woods  Runner
Cardturner
After Ever  After
My Father, the Angel  of Death
Who's Buried in the  Garden (middle school)
other things that  come to mind are the continuation of series
Ranger's  Apprentice
Hunger Games  triology
Alex  Rider
Cirque du  Freak
vampire  series
graphic  novels
manga
Lockdown by Gordon  Smith
Rikers High by Volponi
The Maze Runner by Dashner
The Compound by  Bodeen
Pop by Korman
Unwind by Shusterman
Bruiser by  Shusterman
Ostrich Boys by Keith Gray
Bunker 10 by Henderson
my boys are absolutely  loving S.A. Bodeen's The  Compound.
Brain Jack by Brian  Falker is high action and seems to have all the
ingredients to attract YA boys.  You can see my review on my blog
_http://childrens-bookspot.blogspot.com/_
(http://childrens-bookspot.blogspot.com/)

There  are quite a few reviews for books that will be, or are recently,
published in  2010. Another one that comes to mind, Maze Runner. Excellent
book! You may want  to look in the archives on my site where I reviewed books
from  2009.
I have seen the hype  on this new series and went out and bought the first
book in it today (it was  just released this week):  I Am Number Four by
Pittacus Lore.  New sci fi that readers of The Hunger Games should  love.
My YA boys loved The  Ranger's Apprentice series (John Flanagan),
Maximum Ride (Patterson)  and Hunger Games series (Suzanne Collins)
last year.  As far as  soccer titles, Goal and Goal II and Keeper are
three that YA boys and  girls interested in soccer really like.  I am
hoping that there  will be some YA biographies of professional soccer
players that come  out this year, in light of the recent World Cup.
I hope that  helps.
Have you heard of the  Hunger Games series?  Fantastic!  Although it has a
female  protagonist, it definitely isn't a a female only series.  This
series takes  place in a distopian society.  It is violent, suspenseful, and
action  packed.  I just finished Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson, the author of
 Speak.  Twisted had a male protagonist who is accused of committing a
crime  that he didn't commit. Very good story.  Another author of particular
interest is Ellen Hopkins.  I've read Crank, Glass, Impulse, and  Burned.
Crank and Glass are part of a series and they have a female  protagonist, but
the story is about Meth addiction.  Many of my boy  students have read her
books and enjoyed them.  Impulse has two male  protagonists and a female
protagonist, and the story deals with mental health  issues for teens.  Burned is
a female protagonist but it deals with  religious beliefs.  An Abundance of
Katherines is another book I started  this summer but couldn't get into.
It has a male protagonist.  I  guess the kids really like this book as well
as others by this author, but I  couldn't get into it.  I hope this helps!
Here are some newer YA  books targeting guys.  They are high school level:
Brain Jack by Brian  Falkner
The Replacement by Brenn Yovanoff
You by Charles Benoit
The  Gardener and The Compound by S.A. Bodeen
The Less-Dead by April  Lurie
Dawn by Kevin Brooks...in fact, anything by Kevin Brooks
Rikers High  by Paul Volponi...again, anything by Paul Volponi
Sleepless and The Unspoken  by Thomas Fahy
Percy Jackson and the  Olympians is a great series guys will like, guys
write for guys is not a new  title, but it's a good book.
Here's a site with a  whole list
ttp://teenspace.cincinnatilibrary.org/books/booklist.asp?id=teenguys

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu