From: calibk12-bounces@lists.sjsu.edu [mailto:calibk12-bounces@lists.sjsu.edu] On
Behalf Of Blanche Woolls
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 4:15 PM
To: California School Library Association
Subject: [CALIBK12] Urgent Message to Library Advocates (fwd)

This came to me from the CLA site. Please read it and then do something.

It is not a message that tells me something new and different. The ALA Washington
Office has anguished over the years that when legislation is proposed, librarians
in general and school librarians in particular do not get in touch with their
members of Congress.

For too many years, we have depended totally upon Sandy Schuckett and John McGinnis
and Barbara Jeffus to lead us, but they can't make you write that letter or make
you make that telephone call or even go into the local office and talk with the
staff there with your message that school libraries in California are dying and in
many cases dead and truly buried.

We can't expect the Washington Office of ALA to do everything either. Not all of us
are members of ALA or AASL, and their requests for responses don't get to your
inbox.

If you want any help at all, you need to 1) contact your member of Congress, 2) get
interested parents to do so, 3) get your students to learn a little about the
political process and have them send messages.

Do we want school libraries to be scrunched into the literacy act by the Department
of Education--a sure way to make sure school librarians will go away (or if they
want to keep their jobs, become reading teachers).

Blanche