(Sorry for the delay in posting a HIT.)

Original post:
I was asked to come up with a list of what it would take to upgrade our
resources to create a state-of-the art library-so I'm  reaching out to
the best source I know  What would be on your  list?  I'd love to know
either what you WISH you had or what you have now that you  would
recommend to others.

I received more requests for a HIT than responses, but here is what I
received:

Last year I received a $75,000 grant to beautify and techno-lift our
library.
I purchased everything I wanted...

Here's the list:
laptops
desktops
printer
color printer
fax
phone
copier
smart board
furniture
books
seating areas
paint job
mural
refinish woodwork
laptop cart
I also purchased a 50' Plasma flat screen TV, mounted on the wall
VCR/DVD (free cable from the local cable company)

web-based catalog

Either a LCD projector ceiling mounted or a HUGE TV that I can show my
computer screen on.  Or a Smartboard if you prefer, but I personally
just want to be able to project the computer screen so the whole class
can see it; Smartboards are really cool, but I'm not convinced they're
worth the extra cost. . . when you can make something pretty similar
with a Wiimote & a projector for less than $100.
Wireless access & laptops or ipod touches for student use. Netbooks
would be ideal for elementary because they're small.
A hand-held scanner for inventory purposes.  Or a USB one you can hook
up to a small laptop that runs your circ system.
A flip camera for staff to check out, for you to make video book
reviews, etc.
Access to electronic databases for research, like Kids Infobits for
elem.

Sharon

Sharon Knowles
Director of Library Services
Saint Edward's School
Vero Beach, FL

At the moment that we persuade a child, any child, to cross that
threshold, that magic threshold into a library, we change their lives
forever, for the better ~~Barack Obama

Research shows the highest achieving students attend schools with good
library media centers   Keith Curry Lance