Richie's Picks: UBIQUITOUS: CELEBRATING  NATURE'S SURVIVORS by Joyce Sidman
and Beckie Prange, ill. Houghton Mifflin,  April 2010, 40p., ISBN:
978-0-618-71719-4

"The  Ants
The  ants, the ants
on  tips of plants,
on  sticks, on stones,
on  ice cream cones,
beneath  the ground
they  ebb and flow,
precisely  know
who's  friend, who's foe.
They  dig, they climb,
they  drag, they haul
(they  never seem
to  play at all).
At  obstacles
thrown  in their path
they  laugh! (Well, really,
ants  don't laugh:
they  just speed up
their  antlike flow
and  find a different
way  to go.)
But  when a gang
attacks  their nest?
They  beat their legs
against  their chests,
they  snap their
giant  mandibles,
and  drive them out
with  great success.
And  then, after
the  fight has quit,
they  go back home
to  baby-sit."

UBIQUITOUS by Joyce Sidman and Beckie Prange is the most  exciting book I
encountered last month at ALA in Boston.  I've just  had my own book
published -- a guide on sharing poetry with children and  young adults -- and
UBIQUITOUS is a verbal and visual delight that  points to the bright future of
poetry in the classroom and across the  curriculum.

UBIQUITOUS gracefully intertwines poetry, prose, and  illustration on the
topic of why certain life forms have beaten the odds  and remained viable on
our planet over unfathomable lengths of time  while the vast majority of
life forms have come and gone.

UBIQUITOUS exposes readers to a great variety of poetic  forms and to the
concept of having poetry and prose side by side.  (Thus,  modeling the
concept of having a poem introduce a topic.)  It  is exactly what we -- well, I --
want to see happening with  poetry in science and math and history
classrooms and in the gymnasium  and...well, does anybody out there still teach
drivers  ed?

"The Lichen We
(after Siegfried Sassoon's 'Man and Dog')

Who's this -- alone with stone and sea?
It's just the lowly Lichen We:
the alga I, the fungus me;
together, blooming quietly.

What do we share -- we two together?
A brave indifference to the weather.
A slow but steady growing pace.
Resemblance to both mud and lace.

As we are now, so we shall be
(if air is clear and water free):
the proud but lowly Lichen We,
cemented for eternity."

UBIQUITOUS is a true picture book.  The poems, prose, and  illustrations
interact and each contributes fully to the presentation of the  concepts and
to the enjoyment of the book.  The prose segment of the  spread on lichens
(as with the others) runs approximately 150 clear and  well-chosen words.  The
last book this duo designed was the Caldecott Honor  book

SONG OF THE WATER BOATMAN & OTHER POND POEMS.  I'm  not going out on a limb
-- just stating the obvious -- in predicting that  members of several ALA
committees, NCTE committees, IRA committees, and  poetry award committees
will all be fully aware of what is accomplished  here.

UBIQUITOUS begins and ends with a creative and eye-catchingly  colorful and
swirling endpage timeline which depicts where many  of the book's subjects
fit into the scheme of things.  (For those of us who  remember high school
science, that means that bacteria is way over to the  left and everything
else is way over to the right.)  I am teaching a class to library students this
summer on children's and  young adult poetry and

UBIQUITOUS will be the first trade poetry book each of  them will be
required to read for the class.  It's that good.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
I Second That Emotion: Sharing  Children's and Young Adult Poetry, a 21st
Century Resource Guide for Teachers  and Librarians
Now  available online from LMC Source
_BudNotBuddy@aol.com_ (mailto:BudNotBuddy@aol.com)
_http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)

FTC NOTICE:  Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.