Original post:  I have some colleagues asking to transfer some of our books on tape
resources to CD or mp3 for use on iPods for listening centers here at school.   I'm
starting a search for a "Carrie on Copyright" ruling on the copyright  implications
because I'm sure I've read that this isn't "okay" or at the very best, is an "it
depends" situation.

I posted to LM_NET hoping to find someone with some fresh experience with this who
can point me to accurate sources of  counsel before we proceed.

To put it more succinctly:  Can we make new media format copies of our cassette
tapes?