Today Australia commemorated the first anniversary of Black Saturday, the day
bushfires claimed the
lives of 173 people and scarred thousands of others forever as 5000 homes were
taken by the
ever-hungry fire dragon.

As part of the commemoration, survivors in one community spelt out the words THANK
YOU  on a
football oval that one year ago was the only reasonably safe haven in town.  A
spokesperson said
that it was to thank everyone who had contributed in any way to the rescue,
recovery and relief
efforts.  Over $388 000 000 was raised from a nation of  just 21 million people.

But I know many of you also donated to that appeal so I just wanted to pass on
those thanks to you
too.

Every person in that part of Victoria has a story to tell and a journey to travel,
but they are
looking at the green shoots regenerating from a landscape so devastated and they
say that that gives
them hope for the future.  Many say New Years Day for them is February 8, this
year, not January 1.

For every prayer and good will message you sent, for ever dollar you donated, for
every thing that
was done to help, Australia thanks you.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton