Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas you came up with to my original
posting Celebration ideas:
"I am having 19 students (3rd-5th graders) who have read at least one >
of the ten Nutmeg nominated books (Connecticut State Award) this year >
to breakfast in the Media Center tomorrow morning. All I've got are >
Dunkin Munchkins (contraband) and Capri Suns. I will give them a cute >
certificate, and a funny computer generated, clipart bookmark. I've >
already given each of them a gift from my prize box or a $1 coupon to >
spend at the school store for each book they've read. I'll have >
tablecloths and a Congratulations balloon. . What a thrill huh?
I'm nervous about what to DO during the 1/2 hour with them! Any last >
minute ideas I can pull off?
Thanks in advance, Margie"

These are the great HITS you all sent me!

Make a blog together about the books that they read. It is very easy to
do, and I find it works well if they talk and I type. Then you can post
their reviews of the books for all the school to see. It has worked
like a charm for me!

how about hangman or jeopardy with questions from the books?

I would have the books there and talk about them.  You will be
surprised how much students can talk about books they enjoyed.  You
could also add Clementines to the breakfast - my kids had never tried
them - and it takes awhile to peel them!  You could also have them make
something to hang in the hall (about the book they enjoyed the most?) -
and take a picture of them with the drawing.  That way you are
celebrating them (and keeping them busy)  Have fun!

 I have the same issue here in Minnesota where we have a Maud Hart
Lovelace award, and students who read at least three of the twelve get
to vote for their favorite. My celebration sounds similar to yours. One
thing I was trying to think of was something for them to do, or make,
like make some kind of bookmark, possibly a ribbon/beaded one. I wanted
something more than just decorating a paper or foam one.  I'm still
trying to think of other ideas, so I'd love to hear the responses you
get.

Will these kids actually be voting for their favorite book from the
list? I have a voting party every year for the William Allen White
Award (Kansas). I have food and rewards similar to what you have, but I
also have them vote while they are at the party. Then, I tally the
results on the whiteboard while they eat. The kids enjoy finding out
our school's results before I send the information on to the state.
This takes up most of the 30 minute time I have for the party.

They could share about the characters or book with the rest of the
group...

You could have them divide up into groups by what book was their
favorite and chat about that with the others. What was a surprise in
the story? Did you expect to like it? Who was your favorite character
and why etc. I think they might enjoy just sharing ideas about the
books. OR have them sit with kids who all read different books and do
little book chats.

Kids really will entertain themselves once one person
starts talking and there is always one in the crowd.  Maybe one or two
of them can book talk what they have read.  You could get them started
with my
favorite was...... or my favortie part of ........  I am in middle/high
school
but when I was in elementary what always got kids going were the jokes
and the
funny poems.
Perhaps just have a couple of joke books and some Silverstein or
Prelusky books
on hand to get them going.  Have a great time, it sounds like lots of
fun!

let them play board games.
let them visit.
mingle through the tables and ask for ideas on what books to order.
play music for them
scavenger hunt
hula hoop and macarena in the library

Any chance you can put together a quick bingo game based on those
books?  Maybe have them fill squares with titles in a random
assortment, and as you read a clue (about author, main characters,
plot, etc), they use a marker to cover that title.  They may have that
title listed more than once, but they can only cover one.  The next
time you mention the clues for that book, they can cover the title.
For instance, it has been awhile since I read a couple of those books,
but for Swindle, you could have one card say George Herman Ruth,
another card saying Wendell Palomino, and a third saying turkey (wasn't
it inside the turkey... I can't remember!).

make your own bookmark or poster for their favorite book on the
list...if you haven't done that already this year.  ;)

Have them debate about the books or talk about their favorite parts.
you could
do a readers theatre were the students play out a specific scene or
even have
you and your staff do it for them.

Thanks again!
Margie