Richie's Picks: AS SIMPLE AS IT SEEMS by  Sarah Weeks, HarperCollins/Laura
Geringer, June 2010, 192p., ISBN:  978-0-06-084663-3; Libr. ISBN:
978-0-06-084664-0

"The children felt with
their fingers for the quick beat of the bird's
heart in its breast.  But there was no heart
beating.  That was how they knew it was  dead."
-- Margaret Wise Brown, THE DEAD BIRD (1938)

"Angels fall like rain
and love is all of heaven away"
-- Psychedelic Furs, "The Ghost in You"

"'Look here, Verbie,' she said.  'See how some of the  berries on this bush
are plump and juicy?'  She reached out and barely  touched a ripe berry,
which was all it took to separate it from its nub.   It rolled into her open
palm and she held it out to me.  'You can tell just  by looking at it how
sweet this one will taste.'
"I took the berry from her and slipped it into my mouth.   It was soft and
full of juice.  'Now look at these other berries,' she  said.  'They're
growing right alongside the sweet ones on the very same  bush, but for some
reason they turned out small and bitter; like hard little  fists full of seeds.'
 She touched a small, dark purple berry with her  fingertip but it held
tightly to its nub.
"'Those are the Uncle Mikes, aren't they?' I  said.
"My mother put her arm around me, resting her cheek on the top  of my head.
"'Everyone was put here on this earth for a reason, Sugarpea,'  she said.
'Even Mike Colter.'
"'Was he really as bad as everybody says he was?' I  asked.
"'Yes,' she said.  'But there must have been a little bit  of good in him
too, otherwise--'"

Verbena Ellen Colter's parents find it necessary to explain to  her in the
middle of fifth grade -- years after she'd had that  never-finished
conversation with her mother -- that she is actually the  biological daughter of
her
paternal uncle, Mike Colter, and Mike's alcoholic  wife, Grace Kincaid.
When Verbena was born -- suffering from  fetal alcohol syndrome -- her
biological father was already in prison for  murder.  (He is still there.)

Verbie quickly comes to the conclusion, upon learning the  facts of her
birth, that the way she has recently begun feeling: being  grouchy, losing her
temper, feeling self-conscious, and crying for no reason at  all, is the
result of her having Mike Colter's blood running though her  veins, that "the
real me had finally decided to show up," and that she is  destined to
similarly become a hard fist full of seeds.  And when her long-time best buddy
Annie gets a new friend and  disappears for the summer, things look even worse.

But then a boy with his own set of problems -- including  being nicknamed
Pooch by one of his mother's boyfriends -- appears with his  mother to spend
part of the summer in the house they've rented down  the road.  It is a
house that has not been lived in since before Verbena  was born -- the house
where young Tracy Allen lived with her family  before drowning all those years
ago in nearby Bonner's  Lake.

"'Does being dead make everyone grumpy, or were you like this  before you
were a ghost?'"

In AS SIMPLE AS IT SEEMS master storyteller Sarah  Weeks brings together a
girl, a boy, a lake, a boat, a ghost story, a  town band, and a three-legged
dog.  The coming of age tale that  results is repeatedly laugh-out-loud
funny.  But it also is very  revealing.  I can still vividly recall how, when
my sister was in  fifth grade, she would, seemingly without warning, storm
out of the house and  take refuge under an overturned rowboat stored in the
backyard.

Now that all makes a lot more sense.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
(http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

FTC  NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.