Hi Everyone,

I just added two books to my Featured books section and thought I'd alert the
media:)

The first is brand spankin' new and is for the younger ones:

Waiting Out the Storm by Joann Macken

Talk about beautiful.  This is a book of two voices:  the voice of the child, often
called Buttercup, who is asking for reassurance as a storm begins to stir up.  The
second voice is that of the mother who calmly, warmly responds to each concern that
all is well and even wonderful.  There is a feeling in this book that nature is
playful and nurturing rather than scary and threatening.  "It's too loud!  I'm
afraid!" comes the child's fear.  "Oh, it's only a sound. Thunder stops. Thunder
tumbles and bumbles around."  The illustrations are perfectly gentle as we watch
the storm from enough distance but come up close to the magic of chipmunks tucked
in their burrows and mallard ducks paddling in the stream through the raindrops.
This is truly a comforting voice.  As the illustrator says in her note, "I'm
inspired and held in awe by how this graceful story takes on fear, love, and
compassion all in a simply and familiar situation."  Wonderful!

The second book is a 2002 title but has such value it needs to be brought back into
the spotlight now and again for those who missed it the first time around.

The Heroes Trail:  Guide to a Heroic Life  by T.A.Barron

Are you frustrated that your child doesn't seem to have anyone in the public eye to
look up to or to want to emulate? Do you have this sense that life can be
challenging and that you want to give your children good things in their "inner
landscape" to help them deal with their "outer landscape?" T. A. Barron has written
a wonderful book that explains different kinds of heroes and then gives real life
examples of people our children can connect to. How can I be a hero thinks your
young reader?  Barron challenges the beliefs that heroes are larger than life and
the book offers insights into the hero on the spot, the survivor hero, the hero
within, hero to others near and far, hero for all time and in the Conclusion:  the
hero comes home.  The opportunity for heroism is there for all to choose and it
doesn't belong just to Superman or Alex Rider.

Watching for the first signs of Spring,
Barb

Join me on abookandahug.com!

Barb Langridge