Many thanks to all who replied! I got several requests for a "hit"--so here it is:

My orginal target: "I have a very busy K-5 library (over 1,050 students and
growing). This year marks the first year we can have full-time open access because,
wonder of wonders, we were granted an aide. While I teach classes (45 min., 30 min.
lessons and 15 min. checkout), my aide is busy with all the Open Access. Our
circulation is already at 27,000 halfway through the year. Our students have,
overall, done a pretty good job of being respectful of classes when they come in
with their library passes--and Open Access has not been an issue in terms of
disruptions. What IS becoming an issue for me is teachers, fund-raisers, and
volunteers who come in and hold loud conversations at the computers, at the tables
or right by the circulation desk. Today, I was doing a little refresher on library
etiquette for our students (why do we ask you to use quiet voices in the library?
why do we ask you to walk, not run in the library?) when two teachers and a small
group of fundraisers started having a very loud discussion right by the circ desk.
Of course, this was right after my 2nd grade students and I had just talked about
being respectful of classes in the library, people studying, meetings, etc. I ended
up asking these folks to move their conversation elsewhere. Did they realize they
were disrupting an entire 2nd grade class? No. Did I tick them off? Probably. I
just don't understand how we can expect our students to behave courteously and
respectfully when we, as teachers, don't demonstrate the same. I am not advocating
for a silent library--in fact, I prefer there to be quiet discussion and
activity--but there's a difference between a light buzz of activity and
conversations that are so loud my students can't hear me or focus on what I'm
saying.

What I'm wanting to know is this:

If you have had similar issues with the teachers and other adults at your school
and their behavior in the library, how did you handle it? My patience is shot and I
fear I'm well on the road to becoming a total Library Harpy."

"I had a similar problem a few years ago. I put laminated stop signs at all the
doors and the office breezeway into the media center. The stop sign image also had
a caption which stated they were entering a classroom and not to use it as a
shortcut to other places in the schools. I also sent out an e-mail to teachers
requesting that they please show respect for classes when they came into the media
center. I explained that it was hard to keep the kids focused on a lesson when they
were talking in the background. It seems to have helped quite a bit. "

"One of the things I've done is post signs on the door, reminding people that this
is a classroom and that they need to be quiet if classes are in session. It also
directs them to walk around to the back door to use the teacher work room, instead
of cutting through. So far, that has pretty much covered it. "

"There should be a teacher workroom separate from the library that has the copy
machine, laminator, etc. That moves all distractions from the library. What are all
the fundraiser people doing there? They need a place to go and talk--not the
library... You could get a coffee maker and coffee and place it somewhere other
than the library. People would gather there, hopefully...."

"Hang up signs reminded people to be consciensous of others and polite in tone of
voice. Talk to them outside of the library get the whoe school staff together (so
no one feels liek they're being singled out) and just explain that they are adults
and you need them to set a good example for your stduents by keeping their voices
down. If it's just oen or two people confront them about it and talk top the m one-
on-one. Sometimes a good brow beating is jsut what's needed."

"I think you did the right thing. That's what I do. I ask them to please go out in
the hallway."

"I think you did the right thing. I'm sure the teachers temporarily forgot where
they were and didn't realize how loud they were, and you just gently reminded them.
I ask people to move their conversations out into the hallway often. I've also
noticed that the children aren't usually as disturbed as I am, so, if I am reading
a story, I will usually keep going unless it's obvious the kids are distracted. I
know those same teachers would be absolutely livid if you came into their
classrooms while their students were doing seatwork or while they were teaching and
did likewise. I'm glad you got this off your chest and hope you can let it go!"

"Boy can I ever relate to your problems and I am not even in a large school. There
have been many many times when I have to remind adults (teachers, visitors, etc.)
that the
library is a place to study not a place to hold a long conversation and there are
more comfortable chairs in the staff lounge if that is what they are there to do.
Like you I do not want perfect peace and quiet which is why I have things like
stuffed and real animals, comfy pillows and chairs and have occasionally been known
to lead a song and dance through the library. I do think however, that there is a
line that has to be drawn in any classroom (and that includes the library) where
people understand that the local coffeeshop is down the street and we are not it. "

"We have the same problem. We have a large space so there is always a small group,
meeting or something going on at the same time as my classes. And the adults are
the worst offenders for noise. Now I have no problem with going up to the adults
and asking them to quiet down. I sometimes do feel bad, but after 3 years at my
current school and people not getting the message, I've lost my guilt. I even sent
out a mass email to staff this year reminding them that this is MY classroom and
please treat it the way they would want me to treat their classroom. It was mostly
sent to remind people to check with me before scheduling events. There was a lot of
double or triple booking. We had people scheduling things in the office but never
checking with us to see what our schedule was like. (Sorry, I needed a mini-vent!)"

"There are certain teacehrs with loud voices who occasionally comein with a
problem. They discuss with my aide at the circ desk and they are LOUD. They are so
loud the kids notice. I have asked people to move to my office where they can shut
the door. The way I look at it, if i was loud in their classroom they would ask me
to move. "

"I totally understand! For over a week I have not had a voice above a whisper! I
had a class of 2nd graders sitting on the floor in front of the SmartBoard waiting
for a lesson while their teacher and another teacher were carrying on a
conversation over at the tables louder than I could talk. I whistled at them and
said please be quiet! The kids can't hear me, they apologized and toned it down. I
say everything with a smile even if they are irritetating me somewhat. My kids and
teachers know my bark is usually worse than my bite, but they also understand that
I love them and would do anything for them. I am pretty tongue in cheek with
everyone, keeping it light. I probably would have raised my voice to punctuate my
point to the teachers that were just breaking the rules. But then my library is
very small and everyone is only a few feet away."

"Remember the library is YOUR classroom. Would these teachers, etc put up with
people coming into their classrooms and having major discussions while they are
teaching? NO! Stick to your guns. What is too bad is that one of the 2nd graders
didn't say something to the disrupters! That would have been great. Children learn
by example and clearly those teachers were setting the wrong example. During your
next faculty meeting you could bring this up and solicit ideas of ways to combat
this. Good luck."

"Adults should set examples. A couple of years ago I was at a presentation at my
children's schools. Some teachers were yakking away as children were trying to
perform. I made a point of discussing this with the principal. One can not tell
students to be quiet and pay attention when the teachers are not quiet or
attentive."

"This was very common for me in my lmc (I recently retired) Sometimes my secretary
would step in and ask the group to please speak in soft voices etc. Sometime, I had
to stop what I was trying to do and ask the same thing. I am impressed by your
efforts and circulation so I would just try to keep this under control in a kind
but firm way and always look for ways to appreciate the pta and its efforts for the
school." [Note--the noisy volunteers I referred to were not PTA volunteers--our PTA
has been great--not part of this problem.]

"The only thing I have found to say is that they probably don't know it, but the
acoustics in the library are terrible and their voices are interrupting my lesson.
That's my passive way of telling them to shut up or move on. Ha!"

"I work in an early childhood center with 600 three and four year olds. Each
student may check out a book each day, so we are very busy. Teachers stay with
their students the time the students are in the library. Not only do I have the
problem of their loud voices when I insist on the students using low voices, I also
have the issue of the teachers not supervising their classes. The teachers would
rather hang out at the desk and chat with each other. If I'm doing a lesson for the
students, I insist the teachers stay with their students and hope they participate.
Some do and their students love it. But some bring work to do or conference with
each other right their in front of me. Some even talk on their phones or text! How
rude! I tell them over and over again about how they are their students' role model
and if they want their students to be enriched they must show that they too value
the library. I've even gone so far as to teasingly threaten to separate them."

Ronda Y. Foust, Librarian
Hardin Valley Elementary School
Knoxville, TN
http://hardinvalleyes.knoxschools.org (then click on "Library Media Center")