*A Thousand Never Evers by Shana Burg *
**
*From Kirkus Reviews*
 Until now-1963-in Kuckachoo, Miss., Addie Ann Pickett never thought much
about how unfair things are. She just figured that's the way life is, and
she couldn't do anything about it. But she's becoming more aware of the
outside world: Medgar Evers has been shot, four young girls were killed in
Birmingham and now her older brother is missing, a possible victim of racist
violence. Addie Ann has to grow up quickly, use her head and learn to take a
stand for what's right. Burg offers a sensitive portrait of a young girl and
her family, never letting the larger history of the civil-rights movement
overwhelm the particulars of this one place in time. The threat of violence
is palpable, and the relationships among the residents of Kuckachoo-white
and black-are realistically drawn, dramatizing both the legacy of racism and
the hope of community. Addie Ann's story will help young readers realize
that "You're never too young to speak up for justice and lead by your own
example." (author's note, afterword, chronology) (Fiction. 9-12)

Sharon M. Lawler, MA, MSLS
Randolph Elementary
Bldg. 146 Harmon Drive
Universal City, TX 78148