The National Computer Security Alliance just released a report on
Internet safety instruction in K-12 schools.
<http://www.staysafeonline.org/content/ncsa%E2%80%99s-national-k-12-studies>

Not surprisingly, their conclusion was: "The survey found that America’s
young people aren’t receiving adequate instruction to use digital
technology and navigate cyberspace in a safe, secure and responsible
manner and are ill-prepared to address these subjects.

The survey also found: "Over three quarters of teachers have spent less
than six hours on any type of professional development education related
to cyberethics, cybersafety and cyber security within the last 12
months." Further: "Seven in ten (69%) teachers feel that cyberethics,
cybersafety and cybersecurity professional development is a priority."

I am very pleased to announce that two of my professional development
videos, with extensive handouts are now available.
<http://csriu.org/professionals/>

Cyber Savvy Teachers

Cyber Savvy Teachers is an approximately 2 hour Professional Development
presentation, with 29 page presentation notes, that will provide
teachers will a comprehensive research-based understanding of all
aspects of digital media safety and responsibility. This presentation
will prepare teachers to effectively teach these subjects using the
student handout materials from CSRIU or any other research-based
Internet safety curriculum. Additional resources, including a Scope and
Sequence of Instructional Objectives and student handouts, are freely
available on the above page.

Cyberbullying, Cyberthreats & Sexting

Cyberbullying, Cyberthreats & Sexting is an approximately 2 hour
professional development video presentation, with 30 page notes, for
principals, school counselors and psychologists, school resource
officers, and educational technology personnel that addresses the
concerns related to student online use that are most likely to directly
impact schools. This presentation presents research on the issues,
addresses legal issues, and provides guidance on effective investigation
and intervention and a comprehensive prevention approach.

The pricing for these materials allows for individual users, a range of
school/district sizes. University faculty and trainers can acquire the
individual user materials and then pay for handout copies, hard copy or
electronic, through the Copyright Clearance Center.

I would also encourage you to download the 4 page Cyber Savvy Schools
document on my home page. This is the new framework that I am working on
to address these issues. The additional materials I am working on
include; Youth Risk Online, Effective Internet Use Management in a Web
2.0 World, Web 2.0 in Schools: Legal Issues, and Digital Media Literacy.

Nancy
--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Trying to prepare students for their future and teach them about
Internet safety without Web 2.0 in schools is like trying to teach a
child to swim without a swimming pool!